Cat Came Home but Others Aren't Happy

dritz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, one of my indoor Siamese cats (Boppity) made the great escape exactly 9 weeks ago today.  He was missing for a month but then started showing up and I have been feeding him outside, trying to get him back inside the house ever since.  I finally accomplished that today but it wasn't easy and was a long process leading to that.  He finally decided to trust me so I was able to pick him up (something he wouldn't even let me do when he was indoors) and get him inside but as I crossed that threshold he started to freak so all I could do was let him go and he took off with most of my cats running after him, I think out of curiosity more than anything.  It wasn't my intent to just drop him but I didn't have a choice.  I thought that once I got him back inside they would just take him back in and all would be good again...NOT!!  Two of them have him tree'd on top of a high cabinet in my livingroom with the others kind of watching.  He is up there frightened and emitting a low growl to keep the others away.  The 2 are perched close by, all bushy tailed and wanting at him.  I don't know what to do.  I tried putting dinner out for all and only a couple of my cats came to eat but not Boppity or the other two.  My whole cat family is pretty freaked out by all this.  Do I just let them work it out?  There haven't been any fights but I'm not so sure that won't happen if they can get to him.  I feel bad that I betrayed his trust by grabbing him even though it was for his own good and now I've thrown him into this mix of his pesky mates wanting at him.  This was supposed to be a family reunion, not a cat fight!  

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
9 weeks is a long time and they do not remember him, and of course they do not recognise him because he smells completely different. Peace will not be restored until he once again smells like all the others. If I were you I would go through all the introduction process again as if he were a new cat- there are a number of articles and 'stickies' on the site to help you. But I am so glad you got your boy back again, you must have been beside yourself with worry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dritz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestion.  It has been a very long worrisome and frustrating road.  I am so glad he's finally safe and it appears the other cats are chilling already. He came out for food this morning but I think the others were too overwhelming for him so he was hissing at them and me and ran off.  But, that's a start and there will be food available to him 24/7 for whenever he wants to come out again.  He does need to eat.  He lost a lot of weight that first month.