Cat bullying or just rough play??

pawpawkuma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

I imagine this gets asked a lot, but I really cant tell if my two cats are just playing or if they aren't getting on.

I have 1 male (1yr) and 1 female (9 months) both neutered and been living together several months. No big fights, no hissing, seem quite happy to be around eachother and sometimes sleep together.

However my boy often seems to get carried away and pins her down, biting her - not hard enough to draw blood (never been any injuries) but she doesn't like it understandably! They pull tufts of fur out of eachother too. It's really strange and uncomfortable to watch and Im just worried I'll have to end up seperating them.

I took a video earlier of it. Seems to be happening more often. Has anyone else had this with their kitties ?

Any help/comments much appreciated.

Thanks
Bailey

Last edited by a moderator:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's play! Nothing to worry about at all. :D I've had cats go at it far worse than that in their play sessions.

They look to have a really good relationship to me, and seem pretty evenly matched. Relax and enjoy the floor show! ;)

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have nothing to worry about. That is mainly play, with a touch of dominance behaviour from the male. As he reaches maturity he is showing her that he is boss, but with affection. If it gets a bit too much you can stop it with a sharp 'no' and separating them for a while till he cools down. But I think they will sort it out between themselves. You may find that as he get s little older that he actually tries to mount her sexually, even though they are both neutered. She may let him, she may not. That is all part of dominance - he wants to be Topcat.