Cat bullies

maloos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I've noticed cats kinda mark territory for themselves and will act on it if some stranger cat get near them. but aside that, it seems some cats gets frightened of others if they get convinced that they are stronger. So they let the strong stranger cat do what he/she wants in their territory.

There are a couple of stray cats around my house which have bullied one of my cats (7 months male). One of the stray cats is so big which makes sense. But the other one is so smaller than my cat (maybe 3 months old?) but still hisses at him and make my cat go away. I'm talking about my house yard.

I want to know is it because I'm taking care of these cats and I've sort of reduce their aggressive side? The mother of my cats was a stray cat which didn't get to be our pet, she used to come to our house just for food. But in those times our house was her territory and she used to bully every other cat which dared to come to our yard. She was pretty strong despite her size. On the other hand her children let these other cats invade their territory and even eat their food while they stay away watching. (the other boy let them come to the yard, but don't let them near his food though)

This bulling seems permanent to me though. Once a cat is scared from another one, he tried to avoid as soon as he seems him.

Not that it is bothering me or anything but is there a away to break such fears?

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I've noticed cats kinda mark territory for themselves and will act on it if some stranger cat get near them. but aside that, it seems some cats gets frightened of others if they get convinced that they are stronger. So they let the strong stranger cat do what he/she wants in their territory.

That is just part of cats "sharing" territory.

There are a couple of stray cats around my house which have bullied one of my cats (7 months male). One of the stray cats is so big which makes sense. But the other one is so smaller than my cat (maybe 3 months old?) but still hisses at him and make my cat go away. I'm talking about my house yard.

When cats "share" territory, dominance often has nothing to do with physical size. It has to do with aggression. I am assuming your cat is castrated, but the other cat is not. That could be the cause, but not necessarily. I have an indoor/outdoor, spayed, six year old DSH. She is a very aggressive cat. She has always been that way. She is very aggressive with my other cats as well, not just "strays".

I want to know is it because I'm taking care of these cats and I've sort of reduce their aggressive side?

Very possible, yes
!

The mother of my cats was a stray cat which didn't get to be our pet, she used to come to our house just for food. But in those times our house was her territory and she used to bully every other cat which dared to come to our yard. She was pretty strong despite her size. On the other hand her children let these other cats invade their territory and even eat their food while they stay away watching. (the other boy let them come to the yard, but don't let them near his food though)

The behavior you described is very common in female cats that have not been spayed. Even in spayed ones like my DSH Shadow.

This bulling seems permanent to me though. Once a cat is scared from another one, he tried to avoid as soon as he seems him.

Not that it is bothering me or anything but is there a away to break such fears?

I can not give you any suggestions, sorry.
Please note, my answers are in bold face font.