Cat briefly licked incision after surgery

mochalatte3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat had stomach surgery 4 days ago and was wearing a recovery suit, but unfortunately the suit came off and I'm concerned she was able to lick the incision. It was only off for 30 minutes at most but I am concerned because the fur on her stomach is wet indicating she licked. The incision looks okay but I'm worried it will become infected now. Has anyone had this experience of their cat licking an incision just once and still ended up fine?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the incision is still closed, she's almost certainly fine. The danger in licking is not direct infection from the lick itself, but opening the incision so that bacteria from the environment can get in the woudn. As V verna davies said, just keep an eye on it. There should only be slight swelling (a little puffy), and a small discoloration (pinkness, perhaps minor bruising) along the incision. You may see a small amount of dried blood or serum. That is also normal. What you do not want to see is an angry red, serious swelling, or green or yellow thick discharge.