Cat Breathing Cause Head Jerk??

bluerox4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My persian cat Schne's fur was matted pretty badly and was also shedding a lot, causing her to eat/lick up her own fur while she was grooming. Because of that, I noticed she had puked a hairball, and a few days later dry heaved (attempted to expel more hairballs, but couldn't?). So we decided to get her shaved go a lion cut.

But ever since then, I also realized she's been breathing weird. Whenever she is resting with her head up, her head will move/jerk. I first thought it was due to shivering from the cold, so we got her a cat sweater, and kept her away from the AC. Being away from the AC did help a little, but I still notice the head jerking at times. It's a very slight jerk, not spasm-like or anything. Almost as if it's in sync with her body's breathing. She does snore when she sleeps, she always has, probably because of her flat persian face.

I plan to take her to the vet soon, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what this is, or ever seen/experienced this? Also just today, I saw her snorting while she was eating, not sure if that's related :/ Could it be the hairballs from her bad shed still be clogged up in there making it difficult to breathe? I don't even know if that's possible, just hope someone could give some insight!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I just prowled every article in the Health section of our files, trying to find something that might be of assistance to you, and I'm stumped. I did have the thought that you might be noticing a very normal slight movement for the first time since there is no fur obscuring Schne's body now. It's a possibility. The snorting while eating is a puzzle. Be sure to mention ALL of this to the vet when she goes. Hairballs should be in the stomach until expelled, not the sinuses.

My best advice is going to be an educated guess. Watch her closely. If she is eating, drinking, and acting normally otherwise, and the symptoms don't get any worse, you're probably ok till that next visit. Sorry I couldn't get anything more concrete for you! Let us know how she's doing, please!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Is it possible she came into any toxins? Plants or cleaning products? The only reason I ask is that toxins can cause involuntary muscle movements in cats.

Keep us updated, and let us know what the vet says!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluerox4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her eating drinking is fine, she's still her usual playful self in the morning. I don't think she's ingested anything toxic, at least not that I can speculate. It's just when she's lying down, in rest mode, that her head will shake/jerk. It's kind of like she's shivering. Her nose seems to have some crust too, so it could also be she's come down with a cold. When I put my hand on her back where her tail starts, I can also feel her body like vibrate "from within." Not sure how to describe it, but it's not all the time, like it comes and goes, as if only when she is inhaling or something. :/

Edit: I also took her renal temperature and it's 98.6 F? :/

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Normal body temperature range for cats is 100-102.5 F, but your thermometer might be off, I can't imagine how she could have hypothermia this time of year.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be sure the vet is aware of ALL symptoms, including the nose crust. You may simply be dealing with a URI here, which is an easy fix when caught early.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluerox4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just got back from the vet today! Doctor said it's just the beginning of a cold, since the AC is usually turned on in the house, and the stress from the shave made her immune system a little lower. No medications, just given some vitamin C to help boost her immunity. Her temp today was 99 F. Most of the symptoms was just her being cold, so I'm being sure to keep her in the sweater and also have the AC turned off. She's definitely feeling quite the opposite of what one would during summer! :spew:

I'm so relieved Schne is fine, I was worried it might've had something to do with her lungs. Glad it's not. :D Thanks all for the help and the insight! :hyper: