Cat Blocked?

catlady18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my 5 year old male cat to the vet a few days ago because I noticed he was frequently visiting his litter pan to the point where it felt like he was in and out every 5 minutes. I also noticed he was licking down there more frequently than usual. I made an appointment with the vet and she was unable to take an urinalysis of his urine because his bladder was empty. She said he did not appear to be blocked and prescribed him Buprenorphine and gabapentin. She told me I could bring him back to get the urinalysis if the medication didn’t appear to be helping.

I started noticing the symptoms initially almost a week ago, took him to the vet that Monday, and now here we are technically Friday. He is eating normally which was never an issue and is acting his normal self so I’m just really confused what is going on.

He is still visiting the litter box pretty frequently yet not as much as he was when I initially noticed the symptoms. Still licking down there after he goes. There is no blood that I can see after he goes and he does not produce urine/stool yet not everytime he visits the litter box.

I’m not sure if I should seek out a second opinion or return with him to the same vet to try and get the urinalysis because I just still feel like something is not right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
***he does produce urine/stool yet not everytime he visits the litterbox.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm with you...something is not right. OK...this is Friday. He is producing urine, so that's to the good. If he isn't normal by Monday morning, I'd take him back in. If you can't get an answer, then consider a second opinion. And NO responsible, caring vet should object to that!

Let us know how your boy is doing, please.

catlady18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on Beau:

Finished the meds the vet prescribed and it seemed like he was feeling better. He wasn’t frequenting the bathroom as often and was still eating normally.

This morning I woke up and he was lethargic and very warm. I could tell my little guy was not feeling well so I immediately took him to the emergency vet. He is blocked and they moved forward with the catheter and are keeping him for a few days.

I’m absolutely devastated because I was told the chances of him reblocking are very high and after shelling out almost $2000 dollars today I know that I am not going to be able to afford it if this happens again or if he needs surgery.

Any advice on preventative measures for this? The thought of having to put him down makes me sick and I need to try everything to help him yet I don’t want him to be in pain.

The worst part about everything is that I’m going to vacation in two weeks and was planning on having a friend cat sit yet I definitely want to board my two cats now in case another obstruction occurs. I’m just worried that boarding him is going to cause a lot of stress and bring on another blockage.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Preventative measures are going to depend on exactly what is causing the blockage. I don't want to jump the gun here, because what is best for one cause can actually make anthother worse!

I am going to give you some links that will help if you need assistance with vet bills, though.

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life
Financial Help For Cat Care.

There are a bunch of resources in there. Keep us posted!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is his diet like?
We had a cat block a few times as a young cat. A high moisture diet solved it for him! Hopefully it would help. I would definitely board him, can they be boarded at the vets in the same area so they have each other for company?

catlady18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Preventative measures are going to depend on exactly what is causing the blockage. I don't want to jump the gun here, because what is best for one cause can actually make anthother worse!

I am going to give you some links that will help if you need assistance with vet bills, though.

Financial Help For Cat Care.

There are a bunch of resources in there. Keep us posted!
Thank you! I will!

catlady18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is his diet like?
We had a cat block a few times as a young cat. A high moisture diet solved it for him! Hopefully it would help. I would definitely board him, can they be boarded at the vets in the same area so they have each other for company?
I feed him friskies wet food in the morning and at night - maybe about half a can a day of that or so and then he has friskies dry food I keep out all day and night.

Thank you for your suggestion! He loves the wet food so maybe I’ll consider giving him more and leave out less dry food.

I believe they can be together so I do want to try that at least. I just know both of them are going to hate it and I’d love to be able to keep them at my house in that environment but I know it is not best for Beau.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually moisture = helpful but if it's a structural issue with how he's built it might not, but hopefully it does something for him!
We eventually took our cat off kibble all together, as it just didn't suit him. One of our girls gets UTI's if she eats kibble for 3-4 days at a time. =(
We were extremely busy with some projects this winter and for a week or so I gave all the cats (usually raw fed) kibble, and she started acting strain-y. Drat!

I had my asthmatic on a medical board when we did some serious work here, lots of sawing and paint fumes and all kinds of crap going on. He was not happy, but I had a huge peace of mind knowing if something went on with him, he was in the perfect place with no waiting!
I know he'd rather have been home, but his condition at the time was so critical and with all that was going on (non-asthmatic friendly) and putting in 12-14 hour days finishing up the project, it just made more sense..
Our vet sends us text updates with pictures when he's boarded. I bet if you asked nicely, they or one of the technicians would send you text updates and a candid picture or two to ease your mind.
If they're together, that would help a ton!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pescription food is THE best preventative measure you can take at this critical stage. These foods contain a urinary acidifier that makes it really tough for crystals to form, struvite or oxalite. I am so sorry about this - it is incredibly costly, too. Yeah, I think my ER visit was around $ 1500.00, and that was awhile ago. I took him off his food and he ended up blocking and needed PU surgery. He has been on Royal Canin S/O for over a year now and doing well, sometimes he gets Hill's C/D.

Also, get a water fountain.

How long are you going to be away for? It's a tough call, I can see why you would be more comfortable boarding him.

Not sure about that first vet. Bupro is just a pain killer, and gabapentin is anti-seizure medication used to reduce anxiety. Glad he got those, but vet should have done an ultrasound or referred you to go get an ultrasound to see if there were crystals in his bladder.

Please keep us updated on your sweet baby....you have good instincts, you know your baby, and you are going through a LOT. Blockage is incredibly stressful, incredibly expensive and very scary.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also, there is a prescription food by Hill's called S/D. It is meant for SHORT-TERM USE ONLY after emergencies and for crystal dissolution during partial blockages (not to be confused with S/O, which can be given long term). Other brands might have a comparable formula.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry, the S/D is by Hill's, not Royal Canin...I'm sure the ER and/or your vet has it on hand....I believe it comes in wet and dry.

catlady18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Usually moisture = helpful but if it's a structural issue with how he's built it might not, but hopefully it does something for him!
We eventually took our cat off kibble all together, as it just didn't suit him. One of our girls gets UTI's if she eats kibble for 3-4 days at a time. =(
We were extremely busy with some projects this winter and for a week or so I gave all the cats (usually raw fed) kibble, and she started acting strain-y. Drat!

I had my asthmatic on a medical board when we did some serious work here, lots of sawing and paint fumes and all kinds of crap going on. He was not happy, but I had a huge peace of mind knowing if something went on with him, he was in the perfect place with no waiting!
I know he'd rather have been home, but his condition at the time was so critical and with all that was going on (non-asthmatic friendly) and putting in 12-14 hour days finishing up the project, it just made more sense..
Our vet sends us text updates with pictures when he's boarded. I bet if you asked nicely, they or one of the technicians would send you text updates and a candid picture or two to ease your mind.

Thank you! Understandable why you did that for sure. My vet recommended I do not board them while I’m away since that could potentially just cause more stress.

I found a cat sitter who is going to check in on them once a day so that will definitely give me piece of mind.

catlady18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, the S/D is by Hill's, not Royal Canin...I'm sure the ER and/or your vet has it on hand....I believe it comes in wet and dry.
Thank you so much for your advice! I asked the vet at the ER about prescription food and he said right now to just make sure he’s getting more wet food to keep him hydrated along with the water fountain for sure.

A friend recommended Purina urinary tract health dry and wet food. She said that has worked for her male cat who was blocked a few years ago. Both my cats seem to really like that so I’m hopeful!

I will be on vacation for 5 days - I have a cat sitter to check in on them once a day so that will give me peace of mind for sure. I also thought about getting a pet cam to keep an eye on them when she is not around.

Beau is doing well - the medication both syringe and pill have not been fun. I can hide the pill in his wet food and it’s fine yet the syringe is another story. He’s currently hiding under the bed to avoid the medication which worries me so I may try to just mix it in with the wet food to cause less stress.

I will not be returning to that vet again. It was a waste of time and money when I think she should have been more proactive given the signs I had seen.

Grey_Tuxedo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my 5 year old male cat to the vet a few days ago because I noticed he was frequently visiting his litter pan to the point where it felt like he was in and out every 5 minutes. I also noticed he was licking down there more frequently than usual. I made an appointment with the vet and she was unable to take an urinalysis of his urine because his bladder was empty. She said he did not appear to be blocked and prescribed him Buprenorphine and gabapentin. She told me I could bring him back to get the urinalysis if the medication didn’t appear to be helping.
This is scary because my cat's situation that I just started a thread about is so very similar to the start of yours. So sad that your guy got blocked, I'm really hoping things turn around. I don't have any advice, but I have read quite a few encouraging reports over the last couple of days of cats with diagnosis and blockages that are now enjoying long periods without event. Hydration certainly seems like a common thread in the success stories, but whatever you choose, best wishes that your story is one of them.

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is scary because my cat's situation that I just started a thread about is so very similar to the start of yours. So sad that your guy got blocked, I'm really hoping things turn around. I don't have any advice, but I have read quite a few encouraging reports over the last couple of days of cats with diagnosis and blockages that are now enjoying long periods without event. Hydration certainly seems like a common thread in the success stories, but whatever you choose, best wishes that your story is one of them.
:yeah:
Hugs to you both!

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would definitely change vet, give them all the symptoms and tests your cat has had and take it from there. Wet food can work especially prescription diet food that your vet will suggest. My best wishes for you both!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you are going through this. I know how scary it is. Bottom line is if you are not comfortable with what the vet is telling you then please find a new one.

My Sonny developed a blockage from a bad UTI without any crystals. The first vet I took him too did not tell me he had a UTI. The vet was not sure if he was blocked and just put him on pain meds and medicine to make it easier too pee. Thankfully my friend who is also his former foster mommy went to the vet appointment with us. She did not feel the vet really knew what was going on. The next morning she called me and demanded Sonny be seen by her vet for a 2nd opinion. Her vet caught the blockage and UTI just from looking the blood work. She did her own tests to double check. Sonny was hospitalized immediately. His kidneys almost shut down from the blockage. Her vet only charged for the office visit and she saved my cat’s life. Sonny had to be hospitalized for three days. Once the blockage was cleared his kidney functions went back to normal.

I was advised by both the ER and my friend’s vet that I did not need to change his diet. I decided to switch dry foods on my own to something that is more in line with the levels seen in the prescription urinary foods. I ran the new food by my friend’s vet and she was glad I found a better food.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are getting a pet sitter when you are on vacation. I think that is better than boarding (although, sometimes a pet parent may not have a choice) and kitties are always less stressed in their own homes.

Sometimes we do need to go "vet shopping" just like with people doctors. We are not always happy with our first (or second) choice and it is okay to go with your instinct and find someone else.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I go on vacation, I always leave a letter at the vet’s to the effect that I’m away, XY is taking care of my animals, I authorize him/her to make emergency medical decisions, I should be contacted (insert phone number here), charge me for all costs. I ask the vet people to put the letter in the sick animal’s chart and give a copy to the sitter.

I also leave the sitter a list with each animal’s name, age, medical history and current diet and medications.