Cat biting

galatashdev

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently my cat got spayed and declawed (I know declawing is bad, our apartment doesn't allow not declawed) and the vet also warned us some cats become more aggressive but she's bites an awful lot for no reason. Is there any tips to teach your cat not to bite? I know she's just playing cause she's a kitten but sometimes I'll pet her and she bites. :(

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is biting because her first line of defense - swatting with claws is gone. It's not for no reason. If she's biting when you pet her she may be overstimulated. Stick to petting her head, or petting her for less time, or to petting her when she comes to you first.

You can redirect with toys and active play time, as well as do things to make her feel safe. Play time, several times a day and until she is panting, is essential for the energy of a young kitten. Use toys that have some distance between your hand and the toy, like a wand toy or a laser. Never yell or hit. You can also walk away if you feel she's attacking and needs time to chill.

Feliway diffusers and composure treats could help her to feel more calm and safe.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Poor kitten, she had her defense taken away. Of course she has to use her teeth now to protect herself.  Too late to change anything now :(

The above poster has some good advise. Redirecting her bites to a toy or something will help. How old is she?

I also suggest getting softer litter, something that would be more comfortable on her paws. I forget which litter is best, I hope someone can chime in here.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
As mentioned above, the biting she's doing when you pet her may be because she feels overstimulated.  Different cats have different tolerance levels for physical touch,  but you can learn how to read her body language and hopefully stop before she actually bites.  Watch for her tail to twitch softly, her muscles to get rigid and her pupils to dilate.  She may give you very little warning but as you become more familiar with her body language,  you'll pick up on her signals quickly and hopefully avoid the biting.

Many cats will respond to sudden loud noises, so you might try saying "Ouch" in a firm voice or hissing at her when she bites you.  

I second the advice to actively tire her out with exercise and to try introducing a calming agent like Feliway or Composure.   Here's a thread that discusses some of the calming products on the market.  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/314449/indoor-cat-showing-feral-behaviour#post_3939224

Since she is still a kitten, she might outgrow a certain amount of the biting.  It is true that cats who have been declawed may have behavior problems or develop litter box issues, but with patience and love you'll be able to have harmony in your home.   Check out the following for some info on behavior modification.
[article="32493"]The Dos And Donts Of Cat Behavior Modification  [/article][article="32341"]When Physical Problems Turn Into Behavior Problems  [/article][thread="313815"]Help With Biting  [/thread]
Good luck.  

Last edited:

vangogh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with what others have said about playtime. Wand toys are great and keeps your hands at a distance.i don't agree with what other people have said about declawing. My 8 month old neutered male kitten, Vincent, is a biter . I haven't had him declawed and don't plan on it because he rarely uses them destructively and never aggressively. . On the other hand, I've had several cats in the past that were declawed, and they never bit. It depends on thr cat, I believe. Vincent was a biter from day 1, at 6 weeks old. I find that if he has rubber toys to really chomp down on, it helps. Pay attention to body language. Vincent tends to bite when he's overstimulated or wants to play. A very loud OUCH! works especially when I ignore him afterwards. Filling an empty soda can with a few coins and shaking it also works. I use this at bedtime when he tries to bite my toes. He hates the noise and stops in a heartbeat. Good luck with your fur baby . Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with what others have said about playtime. Wand toys are great and keeps your hands at a distance.i don't agree with what other people have said about declawing. My 8 month old neutered male kitten, Vincent, is a biter . I haven't had him declawed and don't plan on it because he rarely uses them destructively and never aggressively. . On the other hand, I've had several cats in the past that were declawed, and they never bit. It depends on thr cat, I believe. Vincent was a biter from day 1, at 6 weeks old. I find that if he has rubber toys to really chomp down on, it helps. Pay attention to body language. Vincent tends to bite when he's overstimulated or wants to play. A very loud OUCH! works especially when I ignore him afterwards. Filling an empty soda can with a few coins and shaking it also works. I use this at bedtime when he tries to bite my toes. He hates the noise and stops in a heartbeat. Good luck with your fur baby . Hope this helps.
You're right that it does depend on the cat and not all cats develop problems with biting, however, many do.  Check out the Paw Project:  http://www.pawproject.org/faqs/   It contains links to veterinarian research papers that confirm the link between biting and declawing.

The following articles also address this.
[article="22411"]Why Cats Should Not Be Declawed  [/article][article="29667"]Declawing And Alternatives  [/article][article="29668"]Declawing More Than Just A Manicure  [/article]

Last edited by a moderator: