Cat biting other cat on throat

bandt102004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 inside female kittens that are about 3 months old and they are from the same litter. The other day I was sitting in my office and saw something being dragged across the floor so I looked to see what it was and one of the kittens had the other one by her throat dragging her across the floor. The same cat also bites the other kitten on the throat area all the time. Is this normal behavior for kittens or is this a problem? Ive never had cats as pets before so I have no idea. If anyone knows anything about this, please tell me.

mferr84

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats bite each others necks. One of them is 4 months, the other is fixing to be a year old. It worried me when they first met each other and started doing it, but now I know they are just playing. Although it does look extremley painful.
Dragging across the floor though? That sounds pretty harsh? I dont know about that.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did she break the skin on the other cat's neck? If so, I would keep them separated when you're not able to supervise them right now. Cat bites can become easily infected if the bacteria gets under the skin.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I were you, I would buy a bottle of Bitter Apple spray and put some on your hands and rub your hands across the one kitten's neck and chest and top of his shoulder. That should stop the biting and the dragging across the floor-

orange tabby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a older tom cat once who I picked up as a stray. I came to find out he had a choking sound wheezing for air. The vet says it is crushed larynx possibly from a cat fight. I was brought to this site cause I have a new tom kitten and it is attacking my sweet house cat who displays no feral actions. Those have been breed out. I do not ever see any. But since having this kitten whose father is feral I see a wilder behavior. I seen him biting the big cats throat. I hear my big cat wheezing now. I am in chaos for beloved old pet. I didn't think this was possible when vet said it. But is it possible the play can puncher a hole? I am freaked out with my 7 mos old kitten and choice I made to start another pet cause my old guy is 15 years old. I am so mixed I will welcome any thoughts. I fear so much to get rid of the younger cat.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Orange.  The post you are responding to is over 7 years old.  If you have a concern about your cat, we'd love to help.  Please start a new thread in the Behavior forum and I'm sure several people will be able to assist you.

And welcome to TCS 

Last edited: