Cat Bites

lisawal1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello

I am hoping someone can help. My cat is 4, male and spayed, he has always had two sides to his character: loving and affectionate and then aggressive. He loves to go outside and we live in the countryside. Often he will charge at me and bite my head, arms or legs drawing blood. 50% of the time he will come and sit on my and enjoy being stroked and cuddled. We always make time to play with him and he has lots of places to climb, explore and hide if he wants to get away. The vet has checked him and he is healthy with all his shots up to date. We tried calming supplements and different foods but to no avail. He does sometimes bite in play but the aggressive biting is different and he isn't in a playful mood at that time. He will charge around, ears back and tail puffed.

Any ideas?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds as if your cat may have some anxiety issues, and when they build up to a certain point, he lashes out, desperate to relieve that feeling. You may have to think about medications, but before going that strong, try giving him between 1-3 teaspoonfuls of chamomile tea, up to 3 times a day. It is very calming for cats (and humans), and safe in proper dosages. Now, DO use a commercial tea bag, as much "wild" or garden chamomile in this country is ENGLISH, which is toxic to cats. The commerical tea bags are all GERMAN chamomile, which is not. Just brew it, chill it in the fridge, and administer via syringe. If it doesn't calm him enough, you may have to go to a prescription medication, such as Prozac.