Cat bites me

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just learned from Jacks late owners friend that Jack was desexed early on as a kitten. So here is a piece of evidence that early desexed males arent territorial and dont fight. He is very much the opposite- he even sprays inside our place when he comes to eat. He does the same outside i dont know if the cats that also live around the area are desexed or not. I noticed that Jack roams all around and goes to neighbouring street where he gets into fights with the cats living there. So he does roam, fight and spray.
I don't think you are reading this situation completely accurately. You have a situation here that feels very out of control to jack. There are two cats that have raging hormones in what is supposed to be his home. He does not feel totally welcome inside as a result. He also does not feel comfortable outside because he was abandoned and then had to defend himself. None of these are ideal conditions for a cat, neutered or not. No cat would feel secure. I don't think this has to do with his neutering, but more the instability of the situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he was just as bad when he was owned by the late John! He was nasty to an old cat living in the same block that my fiance said if he sees it again that he beats the nieghbours cat up attacking him first he was going to give it a kick! and Jack went to where the cat sat next to this cats door! All the time just to attack and chase him away from "his" yard
So this was happening before he came to us. The only reason he does come as we were extremely patient trying to feed and talk to him. He was going stray already as his owner was unstable and had various problems inclusive of using drugs and physical health problems that landed him in the hospital for weeks and a few times for two months. This cat had to survive. So yea he grew on the streets- but didnt people say that desexed cats dont fight as much? And dont mark? And dont roam- he does and always did. The argument that castrating male cats leads to 90% !?? Is that the no? Elimination of bad behaviour if done early simply doesn't hold water. Many of the cats i see that fight with Jack are desexed too.

Last edited:

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And he is happy with us- he comes and lies in the corridor on his back and lets my fiancé pat his tummy. He doesnt let me pat him yet so working on that
He doesnt like closed doors.
The cats as well as me as well as unfamiliar place - all make him defensive. If my fiance lived alone it would be different but at least we are helping somewhat.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he was just as bad when he was owned by the late John! He was nasty to an old cat living in the same block that my fiance said if he sees it again that he beats the nieghbours cat up attacking him first he was going to give it a kick! and Jack went to where the cat sat next to this cats door! All the time just to attack and chase him away from "his" yard
So this was happening before he came to us. The only reason he does come as we were extremely patient trying to feed and talk to him. He was going stray already as his owner was unstable and had various problems inclusive of using drugs and physical health problems that landed him in the hospital for weeks and a few times for two months. This cat had to survive. So yea he grew on the streets- but didnt people say that desexed cats dont fight as much? And dont mark? And dont roam- he does and always did. The argument that castrating male cats leads to 90% !?? Is that the no? Elimination of bad behaviour if done early simply doesn't hold water. Many of the cats i see that fight with Jack are desexed too.
Again, it sounds like this cat's behavior is the result of an unstable and perhaps abusive living situation. He wasn't being cared for. What else was he supposed to do? This is not the normal situation for a house pet who gets to relax and just be a pet! You are comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So the fact that he chases the cats is the result of his living situation? Im pretty sure its more the result of him being a tom cat. His situation was definitely not a good one. The owner was a troubled guy and even though he loved the cat he didnt look after it. Jack was also underfed. He is a clever cat and used to catch the rats at the property to feed himself, but it wasnt enough. There is nothing we can do since no one wants to spend time taming him. We are the only ones who take the time to do it. If we caught him and took him to the pound hed be killed likely because he is so scared and defensive. Also we were told previously the cat was abused in his first home before John took hm when he was months old ie kicked.
John was never physically cruel and Jack followed him around looking at him as if John was the best thing.
When the time comes for us to leave this place Jack will have a lot of space and wont be an outside cat.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But i know several families who love their animals and have had similar issues: a couple got married and the husband brought his old (8 years) Himalayan with him. Desexed. The wife had a 10 months old cat that was desexed. Within a few months the young cat attacked the old cat by not allowing it to go to the yard etc. spraying etc. all the hallmarks of being territorial. So the cats were separated and later the Himmie was given to my parents where he lived until the age of about 16. He originally was found on the street, not microchipped and owners never found. He was believed to be around 3 years old at the time. He was a very placid cat like most Himmies

Last edited: