cat bites and doctors

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh I've had some nasty bites on my hands from my intern days in college. As my doctor explained it, cat bites are bad because they are punctures and are not easily cleaned out completely. Like everyone said, watch the bite carefully, at one point I got an eye infection and the doctor blamed a bite I had on my arm! (Sounded weird but kinda believable to me!)

Ultimately, if they were to put you on an antibiotic, they'd culture the infection first, and see what antibiotic the bacteria is nonresistant to. Clyndamycin is what I have been on, and my son as well, for a staph infection in his arm. It worked for me, but not for him and he had to be hospitalized for a more intensive Tx.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
RAFM..ouch!!! That's pretty nasty! :( I am wondering about the X claw marks though.. did the cat only have one claw out?!

my bite is NOTHING compared to the stories and pictures shared here. Now it's just 4 dots of scabs.. no swelling, redness or anything. I am sure currently being on antibiotics helped too! Thank goodness its nothing major, though I'm sorry it was worst for many of you!

here's the bite today. healing nicely. I appreciate everyone's concerns, especially after reading the stories!

Last edited:

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A little over a year ago I got attacked pretty badly on the leg/foot by a very protective mama foster cat. I went to the hospital right away and was given a tetanus shot as well as antibiotics. I THINK it was just amoxicillan, not sure though.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those scratches were from his back claws. I had him by the scruff of the neck and he was kicking me with his back claws. When I rearranged my grip, his neck twisted and that is when he bit my hand. Here he is a couple of days later, calm and happy.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Those scratches were from his back claws. I had him by the scruff of the neck and he was kicking me with his back claws. When I rearranged my grip, his neck twisted and that is when he bit my hand. Here he is a couple of days later, calm and happy.
Little Mr. Innocent, eh?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad my cats have good bite inhibtion. They have never bit me! :)

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad my cats have good bite inhibtion. They have never bit me! :)

Same here with my kitties at home. Though Monet has threatened me during nail clipping. He'd nip but stop short every time. I cover his head and body with clipping now.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Little Mr. Innocent, eh?

Ha! Yeah, although it took a couple of days for him to approach me. When his teeth went in I threw him off me and into another room, slammed the door and he didn't get out until we got back from the hospital. I was not a happy mom. For two or so days, he sat on the other end of the couch and just watched me. When he approached he came slowly....he knew he had messed up. 

Hes a very high strung cat and he was spooked and ran into one of the cats he doesn't get along with. The combo was too much and he went crazy. The attack on the other cat was so vicious I reacted instead of thinking through the correct response. It only took me two mishaps to really learn my lesson. I'm kinda slow. 

Im glad your arm is better. You were lucky to get bit where you did, blood flow is much better in that area. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kitties have never bite me, ever. Except for Pipsqueak nipping my arm in the morning waiting for his food. So glad your bite didn't turn into a serious infection :D :vibes:

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is about what mine looked like the next day. My fingers were more swollen than that because my bites were closer to the fingers. Glad I got started on the antibiotics right away! I still have some numbness and aching due to the nerve damage from where he bit me.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, your kitty put you through the shredder, RAFM! I'm glad it all worked out, but jeeze to pete, I would probably have passed out myself after all that trauma. 
 You're a lot stronger than I am!