Cat Bite

kevindd992002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my friend got bit by a stray kitten last Monday (May 30, 2016) and she had three small punctures in her big toe. The wound bled a little bit. We went to a hospital where she was administered two anti-tetanus shots (one in the left arm and the other on the left cheek of the buttocks) and one anti-rabbies active shot (verorab on the right arm).

The wound was categorized as Category III as it bled so a passive anti-rabbies vaccine (HRIG) was also recommended. The berirab vials were so expensive that they gave us a choice to use ERIG but they don't have it in stock. They told us that we can look for ERIG on other hospitals (with a necessary skin test) within 7 days so that's what we did. June 2, 2016 we found ERIG (favirab) on another hospital. We went there, she had her second shot of verorab on the left arm and four vials of favirab was injected into both of her thighs (the total amount was equally divided).

Now onto my question. I tried searching for this in a lot of forums and discussions already, including calling different hospitals and they tell me the same thing. What they usually do is to administer favirab on the wound itself and if the whole amount does not fit in the wound the remaining would be injected in the thighs. I asked the nurse why they didn't inject in the wound itself and they told me that if the wound is not that severe then there's no need to do "infiltration". Now, I don't know why but I don't believe what they're saying. Everything I read say that even it's just a scratch it is recommended to inject on the wound itself.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :wavey:

I'm afraid this isn't an area I know much about. Bumping in the hopes that other members will be able to help you.