Cat bite...please help!

kirin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone...I'm hoping someone can help me as I've never had this happen before. A couple of years ago I took in a stray kitten. For the most part he's been a good cat although he would tend to nip at my hand every once in a while (not hard though). Over the last month or so he has tried to bite my legs a couple of times. Two days ago, after I had just finished putting food in his bowl, he lunged at my right calf and bit me as hard as he could. I have 4 puncture wounds and a bruise the size of a softball from the bite.

At this point I'm not sure what to do. His behavior seems to be getting worse and I'm not sure why. My work schedule has changed and I'm not home as much as I used to be and that may be part of the problem but his behavior started to change well before that. I'm uncomfortable attempting to rehome him because I'm afraid that he may bite someone else, possibly a child. At the same time, he's always been a house cat and I don't want to just put him out. I live in S. Carolina and temps are near 100 degrees right now...I'm also afraid of him biting a neighbor or attacking another cat (he's done that in the past as well). I was in the process of attempting to find him a good home prior to all this (due to a job change) but now I'm at a loss as to what to do. I love the little guy but I can"t risk him hurting someone else. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...thank you for taking the time to read this...

Kirin

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well play biting is one thing but since it has gotten so bad a vet visit is in order.  Could be talking about something medicine would solve or could be talking about brain tumor.

You are right in this cat can not be rehomed IMO.

Discuss with your vet the options for this cat.

How are you doing medically wise?  If you keep this cat make sure the rabies is ALWAYS current to avoid issues if you have to go to hospital.