Cat bit me slightly

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When do you consider a cat bite something to go to the Dr. for and get antibiotics?

My cat scraped my skin with this teeth kind of like scratching yourself.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi this isn't enough to go to the Dr for, as long as you either put some hydrogen peroxide on it, and/or wash it well with soap. If you didn't do this, you'd still run the risk of it becoming infected, and then you would need to see a Dr.

Deeper or larger claw scratches and tooth puncture wounds can be serious and situations where it's advisable to see a Dr.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Furballsmom Furballsmom i should have cleaned it last night after but I cleaned it in the morning after shower and put bandaid on.

Not advisable.

Zerthax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wash the wound and then put rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer over scratches as soon as possible. Bites are worse than scratches, but I'd do the same there. I may repeat again after several hours if it was a bigger/deeper wound.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If the bite becomes red and swollen, go to the doctor. You will know if this happens as it is the beginning of cellulitis which is an emergency. If the teeth did not pierce the skin, but only scraped, you can probably continue to monitor it for any worse effects. Cellulitis usually starts when a cat's teeth enter the skin and deposit bacteria; the teeth are so fine that the skin closes over the bacteria and infection starts.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
After having to go to the emergency for scratches the nurse said this: always wash with soap and water right away (even if painful) and THEN use alcohol or peroxide to clean it. You can then use polysporin/Neosporin if you'd like.

Watch for redness and swelling. If that begins, clean thoroughly and circle it with a pen. It it continues to spread, see a doctor ASAP

platty

Hobbyist Bengal Cat Breeder
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get bit all the time and scratched unless your really really unlucky you'll be just fine! My arms are terrible sometimes too it's only play fighting or when I am cutting their nails

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The scariest kind of cat bite is one that causes a puncture wound - a deep wound with a narrow opening. If you get one, go to the ER or urgent care, you need medical help to clean it properly and possibly antibiotics. Even if it doesn’t bleed much - a puncture wound that doesn’t bleed much is a puncture wound where blood hasn’t helped carry out any contaminants.

Puncture wounds tend to happen when a cat sinks its teeth into you. A glancing blow from the teeth where they kind of slash with them instead of squeezing is less severe - it still needs to be cleaned thoroughly, but as long as it’s not too deep it can often be handled at home.

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I washed this with soap and water, then put neosporin and bandaid on. Now, I'm soaking it in addition to neosporin. Trying to avoid the ramifications.
OUCH!!!

Are those scratches, or did a cat do that with its teeth?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Watch to see if this gets at all inflamed and get to an urgentcare. It might not as it does not look punctured, but I stand by what I wrote in #6. No reflection on your kitty; my friendliest indoor only boy is the one who went rogue on my fingers when he got overstimulated.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Watch to see if this gets at all inflamed and get to an urgentcare. It might not as it does not look punctured, but I stand by what I wrote in #6. No reflection on your kitty; my friendliest indoor only boy is the one who went rogue on my fingers when he got overstimulated.
Yes, I’m watching it carefully. It seems the epsom salt disks are helping.