Cat being sick 3days after being spayed

mbri002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

My cat was spayed on Friday 20th October. The vet kept her in overnight and wouldn't let us take her home on the same day. Upon getting her back the next day, she seemed skinnier and they reported she wouldn't eat her food. We brought food that we know she likes, and she has continued to eat small amounts since then.

She isn't drinking much water. She will only eat when prompted, but enjoys it when she does, so we hold the bowl up to her face and she eats. However this tends to come back up. She was sick at 4am & 7am today (only water came out, wretching) and again around 2:30pm 4 hours after she had eaten some wet food. We noticed that the vet had given her x4 gabapentin tablets and x1 mirtazapine, as well as an appetite stimulant. She was very "out of it" but thankfully that has all wore off. We gave her a dose of meloxicam 24hrs ago. We're worried as it's noticeable of her the weight she has lost in her frame.

We are bringing her back to the vet, however they want to give her a pain injection instead of the meloxicam? I feel like they didn't listen on the phone when I was trying to explain that they eating/drinking is the worrying part. The wound is clean, not inflammed and no green/yellow discharge. She walks about the house slightly slower than normal as expected, but improving each day, and can get up the stairs, no cries or signs of discomfort, even when touching the area.

Does anyone have any advice? Should we be worried about her? Should we go ahead with the pain injection? Wouldn't want her to have more side-effects.

Thanks

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Please don’t give her anymore meloxicam. That should only be given to healthy cats if they are eating and drinking well, if it’s given at all.
This could be pain except for the vomiting makes me think it could be more. It might be a good idea to discuss doing bloodwork with your vet.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi,

A cat being spayed is the equivalent to what some people refer to by the misnomer "a complete hysterectomy." Though I completely approve of spaying and neutering, there are complications that can happen with either. I don't mean to tell you things that you are already aware of, but with all procedures there are risks. Having a cat spayed is a major surgery.

I would take her to the vet and explain to them the problems she is having when you get there. They are more likely to be a captive audience if you are standing right in front of them. It could be an issue with pain. She may not feel up to eating much. She may even need an IV to perk her up, especially if she is dehydrated.

Meloxicam is likely not as strong as what they have in mind. It is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. They might be leaning towards a narcotic at this point, to get her out of pain so that she can eat. I am by no means an animal expert, I am just guessing on what their logic might be. Ideally they will get her weight, temperature, etc. They can compare her baseline weight to what she weighs now. As S silent meowlook said, bloodwork is a great idea.

I wish you both the very best. I hope she is on the mend soon.

Please keep us posted on how she is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbri002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Please don’t give her anymore meloxicam. That should only be given to healthy cats if they are eating and drinking well, if it’s given at all.
This could be pain except for the vomiting makes me think it could be more. It might be a good idea to discuss doing bloodwork with your vet.
Thanks for your reply!

Yes bloodwork was done, should've mentioned that and no problems came back.

The pain might be causing the sickness?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Not usually. You may want to repeat bloodwork. Things can change. I am concerned by the vomiting. She would probably benefit from some fluids if your vet thinks it’s a good idea. Do you know if she had fluids during surgery?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. The above advice is all good. But you mentioned she was given the gabapentin, mirtazapine, and an appetite stimulant - mirtazapine is an appetite stimulant, so the 3rd thing they gave her must have been something else. Find out what that was as it may have an impact on her vomiting. It isn't that unusual for a cat to be given Meloxicam after a surgery, since it is an anti-inflammatory pain reliever. However, if the 3rd med the vet gave her was Meloxicam, it could be that it is not agreeing with her, and could be the source of her getting sick.

If you find out they want to give her the pain med called Zorbium, which is a potent version of buprenorphine, I would ask for something else. It is a relatively new version and seems to be causing some side effects in some of the cats that have had it given to them. It is a pain med that is supposed to last about 3 days in the body, but it seems to linger longer than that in some cats.

mbri002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Not usually. You may want to repeat bloodwork. Things can change. I am concerned by the vomiting. She would probably benefit from some fluids if your vet thinks it’s a good idea. Do you know if she had fluids during surgery?
They never mentioned if fluids were given and it wasn't on the bill so I imagine not, they had left water with her but couldn't get her to eat until we arrived. Just off the phone there and they've changed from wanting to give a painkiller injection to an anti-sickness injection, didn't specify the drug. I imagine this will cause drowsiness etc again. I feel like an IV full of fluid/electrolytes would be more beneficial than more drug injections, but I'm no vet.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you bring her in, try to make sure the vet actually sees her. Ask for fluids when you are there. They are probably going to give Cerenia which isn’t a bad idea.

mbri002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When you bring her in, try to make sure the vet actually sees her. Ask for fluids when you are there. They are probably going to give Cerenia which isn’t a bad idea.
Vet gave her Cerenia, worked well for 24hrs, keeping food down, looked brighter, tiny solid stools, thought she'd turned a corner, however she was just sick again (hour 28 after antisickness) and stools were more watery, finishin day 4 after the op, no meloxicam given in over 55-60hrs now. No IV fluids given by vet, they were very happy with her appearance.

Feel like its 1 step forward then 2 steps backward, very upset that she was sick again.

mbri002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she the kind of kitten that eats things she shouldn’t like hair ties? Any plants in the house? I am disappointed she was sick again also.
When she was in top form she wouldve played with hair bobbles, nibbled on flowers but nothing like that currently, we gave her one of her toys to play with and she half hearted paw'd at it, not in the mood. She has a box with her blanket in it she seems to feel safe in, we keep it at the end of the bed at night she loves sleeping in it, straight out in the morning for head bops.

Just cant believe she was sick again, if she hadn't of been last night we'd have thought she was fully on the mend. Will see what the next 24hrs brings.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To help speed things along, ask the vet for Cerenia or something similar you can give her at home to interfere with the vomiting. Getting sick all the time can really impede with healing/recovery.