Cat Behaviour

jsarvari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

So, I've noticed my cat has started to do this thing with her tail, it stiffens up and it's almost like it vibrates really quickly, and then stops.  Sometimes she does it more than once, sometimes just once...what does it mean!?!?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girl does this too. I've never been sure what it means, but it seems similar to the spray-marking behaviour, but without the antisocial element!

acebellakittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe this is natural... They secret some pheromones with a couple of glands they have on their behind.. You can google it for more info. 

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your kitty might be marking her territory, as I had a female who would do it and sometimes she would release a surprisingly large spray of urine. Most of the time she just shook her tail, but sometimes she let it fly, sometimes several ft away! I think this is more common with un-spayed females or cats that were fixed later in life.

Jim

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Your kitty might be marking her territory, as I had a female who would do it and sometimes she would release a surprisingly large spray of urine. Most of the time she just shook her tail, but sometimes she let it fly, sometimes several ft away! I think this is more common with un-spayed females or cats that were fixed later in life.

Jim
I heartily concur.  Both male and female cats mark territory.  Cats are extremely territorial animals, and marking is common in both sexes, although more frequent and obvious in males.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jsarvari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's just strange because she was fixed at the right time, and I never actually see her spray just the tail shake.  I'll have to watch more closely so see if I can notice anything.

Thanks everyone :)

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some kitties do it when they're happy or are acting cute to get your attention. Ms Jilly does it a lot but has never sprayed. 

sprin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Same with my cat. She didn't spray, but did the tail vibrating thing sometimes when she was really happy or excited.

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cat does that when she's annoyed. She's obsessed with food, and as soon as we pick up her dish to fill it with her food, she starts yowling and vibrating her tail to tell us to hurry up and set her food down.