Cat behavior

vernan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is only myself and my female 5 year old cat. I will be gone for 10 days. What can I do to be sure she does not get lonely?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, you have some options/choices.

How do you plan to ensure she's properly fed, has clean fresh water daily and her litter boxes are cleaned daily?

Some people have family or friends, and even neighbors they trust, to stop in and attend to these things. However in my mind that is an incredible responsibility to put on a person, because if something goes wrong with your home, or your cat, that person has to make major decisions on the spot and also may have other personal situations that might make it difficult to deal with the issues going on with your home, or possibly even though they said they would, something may come up in their life that makes it difficult to deal with your cat on a daily basis.

Rover.com and care.com have licensed certified people, and sometimes there are licensed individuals who advertise pet sitting on Nextdoor .com. if you'll be gone over the holidays you might not want to wait too long.

Rover and Nextdoor are free to register and doing that gives you a much more accurate view of the fees, knowledge, skills, reviews and repeat customers for members.

It used to be that vet techs would pet sit so that's a possibility.

You need to write down your vet's phone, a 24 hour vet you prefer, and a checklist of what you expect to be done for your cat including if you want pictures or video sent to you, and if you want the person to spend some time playing with your cat. That's the best, really only, way to ensure everything happens for her that you want, no matter what route you choose.

You could even set up a camera or two so you can look in whenever you like and see how your cat is doing.

Some people set up timed radio or Cat Music which can help too. More than likely, she'll sleep most of the time.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A lot depends on your cat's personality, where you are going, and how you are going to get there - but you could consider taking her with you. It's been many years ago, but I used to fly my cat to my M&D's home, and she did just fine, for the most part. Not for everyone, and less and less people are doing so, but something to consider. If not an option, I agree about hiring a caretaker if you have no family/friends/neighbors who could watch over her.

One other 'to do' item if you have someone care or her - leave out your worn, unwashed clothing in her hang-out spots so she has your scent with her while you are gone.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you choose a pet sitter or a boarding facility, please keep in mind that many places and people are booked up for the holidays, so if you're going out of town over Thanksgiving or Christmas you'll want to call around ASAP to see if you can find someone. :)