Cat beats up his father

potatodood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So long story short, we finally adopted a male cat after we've been taking care of it for a year as a stray since it was a kitten. Both him and his father have been neutered. He's adapted quite well and hasn't really yearned for the outdoors since. His father on the other hand, is feral. We let the father in occasionally just to give him a reprieve from the outdoors for safety purposes and warmth. But the father doesn't like to be kept in too long, he'll jump at the handle which is the signal to let him out. The few times he's slept over (3 times in 1.5 years), he only stayed until 1 AM and the latest at 3:30 AM.

We feed them together because it gives the son some mental stimulation and is basically his only cat friend. When the dad comes in, the son sniffs his butt and all around him, but the dad isn't interested in sniffing the son. After they eat in separate bowls, I want the dad to stay in longer just because it's safer. He has his own bed that he likes to rest in. The problem is, the son likes to bite, swat and body slam him to the point that the dad hisses and wants out. He chases and antagonizes him the entire time he's inside except when they're eating. The son is smaller and weighs about 9 lbs, while the dad is larger at around 12 lbs, but he never seems to assert himself. I'm at a loss as to why the dad doesn't teach his son a lesson.

When they were both living outdoors, they napped in the same bed with the dad occasionally licking the son. I know they may not remember, but I want to bring back that "family dynamic". It also might be that because he grew up with no siblings, but did have both his parents,  he never learned how to properly play and act around other cats maybe? I give the son play sessions to relieve some energy, but he's not the acrobatic and energetic type that you see on TV. Perhaps he's getting out pent up energy. His actions never seem angry, it's more like pestering and annoying to the point of hissing.

What can I do to get them to get along?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The one sided sniffing is not unusual. After all, the dad spends most of his time outdoors, thus, he "collects" different scents which his son needs to check out. As far as I am concerned, there is nothing to worry about. The youngster either wants to play rough or is showing some dominance over the older cat who very much does not feel threatened by it. 

I don't understand what you mean by family dynamic. I think the bond between them is still there. Circumstances are different. One has adapted to the indoors, the other prefers the outside. Best to let them work it out themselves.