Cat baths in a bag

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I have show cats and even the non-show ones get occasional baths - it does NOT hurt them and usually helps them a lot.

I don't know why you think that cat wipes are getting a cat as clean as a normal bath - but they are not. No way can you get down to the skin and really get the cat clean all over. IMO its like taking the wipes and just wiping your hair - you think its clean, but down at the roots its still dirty.

My cats are normal and healthy and they love taking baths!
I agree totally with the above. Especially that you can't get a cat really clean with wipes. How can you get them clean with out rinsing away soap and dirt? It just doesn't make sense. But if it works for the occasional bather with a short haired cat then more power to you!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

Because a great deal of elaborate ritual has built up around show cats. Do cats need blow drying, or ribbons, or haircuts? No. Saying cats are dirty because some people are washing them is like saying that cats have a ribbon deficiency because some people like to put ribbons on them.
Actually bathing and blow drying are the best thing for a long haired cat. Especially if you have a pet dryer (high velocity). The blow drying of the wet coat actually has a combing effect and prevents damage from pulling and breakage. I would blow dry (and actually do) a non-show cat! I understand your naturalistic ideals and applaud them. But it just doesn't fit all cat types. I've never had a cat that put up a huge fight or was traumatized by bathing them. In fact they get so frisky and playful after their baths I have to conclude that they feel better. I'm not a fan of regular bathing of a short haired, domestic cat. But there are some cases where it is for the best. One of the others reasons is people with allergies or asthma. Dander is from saliva contact with the actual skin and it one of the highest allergens and triggers of asthma. Regular bathing could mean the difference of a cat not having a home or having a home. And the person with the condition having the joy of a feline companion!

It's not natural for a cat to eat processed dry food either. But most cat owners feed it anyway. Collars, micro chips and vaccinations aren't natural either. But many of us use them anyway!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I use warm water they are fine. I always wash when they come from the shelter.
As for the bag.???? I saw it but figured my cats would hate the confinement.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used a waterless shampoo for Zoey when I brought her home from the shelter. She smelled from the shelter and I don't think pet wipes would have gotten that off. The smell may have went away after a few days, but I wasn't willing to wait. Zoey fought whenever we tried to do anything to her - give her pills, cut her nails, syringe her water. I'm sure she wouldn't have handled a wet bath well. However, the waterless shampoo went on pretty easy so, even with a somewhat disgruntled cat, we could be quick.

This might be a good option if you want to give the cat a welcome home cleaning without risking too much stress. If the cat is already stressed just coming home, you might want to wait altogether. If he/she seems to be adjusting OK, then try out the waterless shampoo.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Actually bathing and blow drying are the best thing for a long haired cat. Especially if you have a pet dryer (high velocity). The blow drying of the wet coat actually has a combing effect and prevents damage from pulling and breakage. I would blow dry (and actually do) a non-show cat! I understand your naturalistic ideals and applaud them. But it just doesn't fit all cat types. I've never had a cat that put up a huge fight or was traumatized by bathing them. In fact they get so frisky and playful after their baths I have to conclude that they feel better. I'm not a fan of regular bathing of a short haired, domestic cat. But there are some cases where it is for the best. One of the others reasons is people with allergies or asthma. Dander is from saliva contact with the actual skin and it one of the highest allergens and triggers of asthma. Regular bathing could mean the difference of a cat not having a home or having a home. And the person with the condition having the joy of a feline companion!

It's not natural for a cat to eat processed dry food either. But most cat owners feed it anyway. Collars, micro chips and vaccinations aren't natural either. But many of us use them anyway!
Interesting comment and very true.

I agree. Like nail clipping and grooming, cats will get used to baths. They may never "love" them, but they can adjust to them. Bijou goes outside and for some reason loves to roll in my flower beds. Then he wants to sleep under the covers with me full of sand and grit. I brush him but it doesn't get it all out. He and Mika both get a bath at least every 2 months. (Bijou more often of course
.) As GK says, if you do it right, there shouldn't be any shredding of human skin in the process.

As for the wipes, I cannot see how they would help me with Bijou because I'm pretty sure the dirt goes right down to his skin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chawknz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I decided to give her a bath last weekend and wow. I really should have listened to everyone. It was a nightmare for both parties involved.

With that said, she smelled and looked so much better afterwords. However I couldn't help but think it set us back as far as our bonding process, but thankfully she doesn't seem to have any memory of it and loves me more than ever.

I will never bathe her again, that's for sure. And about her coat.. I don't know if it was just because she was sick. me grooming her a lot, or what food she was eating, but her coat has become quite shiny! It's still ruffled around the legs and under belly, but it's really becoming silky. Switched her from Science Diet (what she was being fed at the shelter) to Wellness.

Thanks for all the comments here!

church11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i rember giving my kitten angelica a bath and boy did my arms look horrible, my mom thought i was cutting again when i wasent

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chawknz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankfully I didn't get scratched up. She just clung to the sides of the tub for dear life.
Poor girl. Never again.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can be a tough thing to do. If she needs it send her to a groomer who will do cats. I have one and she is great.