Cat barely eating and acting depressed days after vet visit

Thummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Background: My 9 year old tuxedo cat, Tavi, has an unknown tumor on his head (beside his eye, under the ear). The needle aspiration was inconclusive and he was put on steroids, as surgery was not an option for us. He's been on prednisolone for 6 months now with absolutely no symptoms from the cancer or the steroids.

Last week I took him to the vet for bloodwork. They did a Chem 10 panel to check to see if he could continue on the steroids. Everything was normal. However, when I brought him home from the appointment, he started acting depressed and wouldn't finish his dinner. I figured it was just anxiety or stress, as it took me 20 minutes to get him into his carrier and he usually does act a little weird for a night or two after the vet. The next day he ate even less and by the 3rd day, he was lethargic, wouldn't play and didn't really want me to touch him. He only ate a few bites of his food, so a few hours later I offered him treats and he ate those. I went to the store and bought every flavor of his food I could find, along with an assortment of treats and gravies, canned chicken and baby food. The 5th day he wouldn't eat breakfast or lunch, but would later ate a Friskies Lil Shake and Greenies smartbites (the little square kind). I wanted to see how many treats he would eat and we got up to 40 before I cut him off. Then the next day he started to act a bit normal again and less depressed and wanted to cuddle and follow me around, but he still would barely eat. Since then, he's been running downstairs at meal times and cries for food, but then just sniffs it and looks up at me and cries. So, I end up opening a few different flavors and sometimes I get lucky and he will eat a quarter of it. Then an hour later, I offer him some Friskies Lil Shakes and he eats half of it. Then a few hours later, I offer him Greenies and he eats up to 20 of those. This happens at every meal now. Yesterday I got him to eat a small chunk of canned chicken and a few pieces of his brother's Purina HA dry food. I called the vet yesterday, but the two vets I see are on vacation until Monday. But, I did make an appointment for Monday. He's drinking a lot of water still (I was warned that the steroids would make him drink more). I realize it may be the cancer suddenly affecting him. But, still it seems like a massive coincidence that his symptoms waited to show up until the exact moment I took him to the vet. He is also suddenly hyper-vigilant. Any noise distracts him while he's eating. Also, when I pick him up, he starts smacking his lips and when I get to the kitchen he starts to panic. I'm wondering if he thinks I'm picking him up and taking him to the kitchen because I want to put him in a carrier? He never used to be like that. He usually loves being carried around, looking at everything like a tour of the house. I think he may be constipated, as well. The day after the vet, I noticed his stool was thinner and very dried out. I called the vet again today and asked what I can do for him. They suggested pumpkin. They don't seem all that concerned, since usually they would ask me to do a drop-off or go to the emergency vet for something serious. Since his kidney, liver and glucose levels were just checked, I assume it's none of those things. Could a post-vet stress response last more than a week? Or could the stress have brought on constipation? Anybody have anything similar happen?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It's hard to think it is coincidental, but it could be that - or a domino effect. The first day or two of Tavi acting 'off' lead to food changes because he wasn't eating great. That might be what lead to constipation due to the lack of him eating his normal foods. Constipation can cause a cat to feel unwell and even create some discomfort in the abdominal area.

Eating of treats over wanting other foods, can often be a sign of nausea. I have no idea why, but I see this all the time where a cat won't eat many foods but will gladly eat treats and it has been because they are nauseous. I know your vets aren't in, but it might be worth it to ask another vet in the group for an anti-nausea med and an appetite stimulant just so he has a chance to recover on his own through proper eating before his upcoming vet visit. These meds can be temporary stop-gaps just to get a cat 'back on track'.

While the constipation could be from an unusual diet, and perhaps plain pumpkin could help, the other thing to try is Miralax. Just 1/8 tsp in a bite of lickable treats might be a place to start. If that doesn't help after 24 or so hours, you can give it to him twice a day and see what happens. It is tasteless, so it shouldn't pose an issue from that perspective.

Have you tried the baby food meat? I have noticed it often works similarly to the treats if a cat is nauseous or not feeling up to par. It isn't nutritionally complete but contains a lot more moisture than treats. Either way, it is OK to let a cat go without nutritionally complete foods for 2-3 weeks, if needed.

I don't know, any more than you do, what caused this with Tavi, but for now the goal is to get him eating again and taking care of the constipation.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. It's hard to think it is coincidental, but it could be that - or a domino effect. The first day or two of Tavi acting 'off' lead to food changes because he wasn't eating great. That might be what lead to constipation due to the lack of him eating his normal foods. Constipation can cause a cat to feel unwell and even create some discomfort in the abdominal area.

Eating of treats over wanting other foods, can often be a sign of nausea. I have no idea why, but I see this all the time where a cat won't eat many foods but will gladly eat treats and it has been because they are nauseous. I know your vets aren't in, but it might be worth it to ask another vet in the group for an anti-nausea med and an appetite stimulant just so he has a chance to recover on his own through proper eating before his upcoming vet visit. These meds can be temporary stop-gaps just to get a cat 'back on track'.

While the constipation could be from an unusual diet, and perhaps plain pumpkin could help, the other thing to try is Miralax. Just 1/8 tsp in a bite of lickable treats might be a place to start. If that doesn't help after 24 or so hours, you can give it to him twice a day and see what happens. It is tasteless, so it shouldn't pose an issue from that perspective.

Have you tried the baby food meat? I have noticed it often works similarly to the treats if a cat is nauseous or not feeling up to par. It isn't nutritionally complete but contains a lot more moisture than treats. Either way, it is OK to let a cat go without nutritionally complete foods for 2-3 weeks, if needed.

I don't know, any more than you do, what caused this with Tavi, but for now the goal is to get him eating again and taking care of the constipation.
I did ask another vet there the other day for some anti-nausea meds, but she refused and said she can’t prescribe them without knowing what is causing the nausea and wants to see him first. She did give me a couple cans of Science Diet I/D to try, but Tavi won’t touch them. I do have a tube of Mirataz leftover from 2022 that says it doesn’t expire until 2026. I was hoping to try anti-nausea first, but looks like I’ll have to go straight for the appetite stimulant. Thank you for the Miralax suggestion. I’m willing to try anything at this point.