Cat Bad Reaction Metronidazole Beside Myself

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I brought my cat to the vet last week for Diarreah and he had 2 ear infections. They gave him ointment in his ears Amikicin, a Covenia shot, and Metronitazold to take home.

He isn't easy to give meds so i got the metronidazole compounded and I didn't give his first dose till Sunday Morning several days after the other meds. He was ok before that. Something was off bc he was sick but he was eating drinking moving around ok.

After that first does of Metro he declined so quick. Stopped eating can barley walk right now. He cries out when he walks bc I think its scary for him. I spent the night in the ER which I can't even get into but he never was seen...and finally got him to the vet by 9am Monday morning. They gave him subs. Cleaned out his ears of the anitiobiotics and an appetite stimulate.

His blood looked good but they want to recheck.

I took him home and he had been through so much so he was scared and upset and I let him sleep. I was hoping to see any improvement and I'm just not.

I'm so beside myself bc you can't imagine how horrible it is to see a cat can't walk and you had something to do with it by administering these meds. I had a cat die bc the Dr gave him a long lasting steroid shot and I am so mad I didn't ask more questions about all the meds after that.

I had been tired bc I previously got an outdoor cat fixed and that was consuming my time and I was just wanting to get his diarrhea fixed bc I woke up with it all over his butt and house.

Has anyone had this happen? The vet said there might never be a recovery and that made me so upset. I live this cat and to loose another cat a year after something similar happened is breaking my heart and I feel so helpless.

The vets and ERs around me are not the best and you can barley get into some of the hospitals to be seen because of staffing shortages. If there is more to do for him I want to try it bc he has shown no improvement yet. Still cannot walk still no interest in food. I feel sick and defeated.

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat didn’t react that badly, but he definitely hated the taste of metronidazole, slobbered/drooled, and eventually started screaming like he was being stepped on when I squirted it into his mouth. His appetite has been down too - I’m not sure if it was the metronidazole itself or stress from the way it was given to him (we’ve switched to pills now which less stressful for him, but it’s been less than 24 hours so it’s too soon to tell if his appetite will go back to normal).

But definitely no trouble walking or trips to the ER like your poor furbaby!! I hope he feels better soon!

Do you know what dose of metronidazole your cat was getting? It can have some scary effects in an overdose - is there any chance your vet might have made a mistake calculating his dose?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The dose he got was 1 ml (150mlg or something). They looked at the dose at the vet and said it's a normal amount. He's 14 pounds. But I did get it compounded at a pharmacy to taste like Tuna so anything is possible that they made a mistake. I've used the pharmacy before and was ok.

I mean after what I know the drug can do I would recommend asking your vet for an alternative before giving more. My cat can't walk and it effects the nervous system. I would hate for this to happen to someone else bc I have no idea if he's going to recover right now. I'm hopeful but it's so scary to watch.

I just got him to take like 3 licks of a liquid cat treat. It's small but something. Before he was gagging when you showed him food. I need to get to the store in the morning to buy more. He's back to resting somewhat comfortably.

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got him to take like 3 licks of a liquid cat treat. It's small but something. Before he was gagging when you showed him food. I need to get to the store in the morning to buy more. He's back to resting somewhat comfortably.
Yipes!! If that’s all he’s eating, beware of hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease) and stay in close contact with your vet to make sure he gets enough calories per day to avoid it. 24 hours without eating is concerning, 48 hours would cross into “alarming” and likely require veterinary intervention to get the calories into his body by some other means.

But I’m glad to hear he’s showing some signs of improvement, and I hope he keeps heading in the right direction as quickly as possible.

I mean after what I know the drug can do I would recommend asking your vet for an alternative before giving more. My cat can't walk and it effects the nervous system. I would hate for this to happen to someone else bc I have no idea if he's going to recover right now. I'm hopeful but it's so scary to watch.
Thank you for the warning!

How are you handling the litterbox situation right now? Is he able to stand up enough if you help him get there, or does it require more help than that?

If he’s urinating where he lays, these are way more absorbent than regular pee pads and might help with keeping him dry and comfortable.

Last edited:

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had been tired bc I previously got an outdoor cat fixed
Did your cat have any contact with the outdoor cat? Even indirect contact like riding to the vet appointment in the same carrier used for the other cat? If so, be sure to mention that to your vet.

The metronidazole is probably the more likely cause of your cat’s symptoms, but an infectious disease might incubate for a few days before showing symptoms, so the timing might make that a possibility too. (The other cat may appear healthy, but it may have antibodies protecting it from something your indoor cat’s immune system has never seen before.)

Did he have a fever when they took his temperature?

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The outdoor cat was tested for everything bc there was a point as he healed from getting fixed I thought I might keep in. He was clear of everything but my cats were separated except at one point I introduced through a gate but this cat that was sick never went down to meet him. It was another one of my cats. But like I said everything was cleared and I was so careful bc I did this type of work before. I was so careful that washing my hands I got a rash from doing it so often.

Yes I'm aware of fatty liver unfortunately he hasn't eaten for more than 24 hours bc those 3 licks are not enough. I hope today I get him to do it. But other than the licks no improvement.

He is so scared and that hurts he cries when he tries to walk.

I have to carry him to the box and he does pee but it's more half standing half laying.

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m glad you were careful with the outdoor kitty.

I’m so sorry your little guy is going through this - I hope he will have a lot of improvement (and appetite) today!

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has your cat ever reacted to/or been given Convenia before?
No he's never gotten it before and I actually was super upset when I read about it right after the appointment. I probably would of thought this was bc of that shot if it wasn't for he was fine for several days.

It wasn't till I gave the Metronidazole that he went down hill. I was delayed in given it to him bc I had to wait to get it compounded and shipped.

The morning I gave it to him he threw up 2 hours later and then we started this downhill spiral. After the Convenia shot he was still ok. He got that shot on Thursday and Sunday morning he was still eating and mobile and ok. So while I don't like the Convenia shot either I suspect the Metronidazole more. Plus the symptoms line up more with neurological and this is a major side effect of the Metronidazole. I always thought this was a safe drug bc I used in the past with other cats no problem but it is so dangerous from what I can tell.

I just bought some Delictable treats and he ate almost a whole packet. I coaxed with a spoon but that made me happy.

Hes still struggling to walk but eating anything is a big win.

Last edited:

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is just torture. I can't believe this happened.

He used the litter box on his own but right after flopped down and cried. Made me so upset.

Got some more licks of liquid cat treat in him but not a lot.

Seriously if anyone is giving this med to their cat please read the warnings about. I am not someone to jump to that this could happen. I assume things are generally safe and stuff like this is rare but it's not.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet for a can or two of Hills A/D. It is supposed to be very appealing for cats recovering from something or just not wanting to eat in general. I use it to coat capsules which Betty will happily take on her own now. But when she did go off her food for a few days (fever of unknown origin), she ate enough of the A/D to bridge her back to her regular food a few days later.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet for a can or two of Hills A/D. It is supposed to be very appealing for cats recovering from something or just not wanting to eat in general. I use it to coat capsules which Betty will happily take on her own now. But when she did go off her food for a few days (fever of unknown origin), she ate enough of the A/D to bridge her back to her regular food a few days later.
Ok I'm going to call tomorrow with an update to tell them how he is. I was thinking maybe another round of subQ fluids might be helpful too.

I don't want to traumatize him more bc he's just so scared but it could help.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I'm going to call tomorrow with an update to tell them how he is. I was thinking maybe another round of subQ fluids might be helpful too.

I don't want to traumatize him more bc he's just so scared but it could help.
If they are still open, they should be able to sell you a can or two out the door without bringing him down again. And if they are not open, emergency animal hospitals should also have A/D and can probably sell you a can without seeing him. (Maybe?) It’s better to try to get some more food in him today than to wait another day. In a pinch, you can take some of the inside meat of fried chicken (not the seasonings or the skin.) I know you are worried about the big picture (the neurological reaction), but not eating can become a big complication fast. Some cats also like meat only baby food. Make sure there is no seasonings. You may also try the junkiest supermarket cat food with him (Friskies, Whiskas, any of those big brands.). Popular brands are popular with cats. They wouldn’t be there otherwise. It’s better to eat at McDonald’s than starve at Whole Foods.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If they are still open, they should be able to sell you a can or two out the door without bringing him down again. And if they are not open, emergency animal hospitals should also have A/D and can probably sell you a can without seeing him. (Maybe?) It’s better to try to get some more food in him today than to wait another day. In a pinch, you can take some of the inside meat of fried chicken (not the seasonings or the skin.) I know you are worried about the big picture (the neurological reaction), but not eating can become a big complication fast. Some cats also like meat only baby food. Make sure there is no seasonings. You may also try the junkiest supermarket cat food with him (Friskies, Whiskas, any of those big brands.). Popular brands are popular with cats. They wouldn’t be there otherwise. It’s better to eat at McDonald’s than starve at Whole Foods.
Thank you yes I want him to eat more and im worried that he hasnt. For today I just don't know what more I can do.

So far this is what I tired Friskies wet cat food, fancy feast, sheba, I have some of the high calories paste too. Along with the Churus and the delectable lickables and those are what is working, just not getting him to eat a lot. He got a full packet of the delectables down but since that I have only gotten a few licks here and there. I'm trying every few hours but also want to give him a chance to rest and not overly force. Its all been me feeding on a spoon.

I havent tried baby food or chicken yet. I had run today to several stores just to find the Churu treats which I knew he liked from before. Tomorrow I will do a second run to the grocery for baby food and to the vet for these cans your suggestions. The emergency hospitals are an hour drive for me and yes the vet is closed now. I didn't think to ask them for this food otherwise I would of done it earlier today. I do want to check in with them tomorrow and let them know where we are at so I am definitely going to ask about the science Diet.

I kind of not been sleeping and waking up every few hours to check on him. So I'll probably do the same tonight and keep trying with the liquid treats.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Small correction. Not Science Diet. Hills A/D. It's a special recovery formula specifically for emergencies like this but also for getting sick cats through something like recovery from surgery. In my Betty's case, she ate it while recovering from a bad reaction to her endoscopy. It's not a forever food. It's simply for emergencies, recoveries, and using as an additive to make meds taking easier. I dip Betty's capsules in A/D and drop them on the carpet and she willingly takes the A/D plus the capsule by herself now. Meds time has never been easier! A/D is rich in calories so he doesn't have to eat as much of it which is helpful when cats don't feel like eating much to begin with. My recommendation is that if he likes the A/D, you can offer it on its own for awhile. But I would also offer it mixed with his regular food if he'll eat it that way. That's because it is a rich food and he may not want to eat very much of it. But it's a tasty food and it may up the appeal of anything it's mixed with. Plus mixing it with his regular food provides you a bridge back to his regular food as he's feeling better. You simply change the mix as he gets along until he's back to regular food again.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok got it sorry not Science Diet. I'm tired.

If he eats anything at this point on his own I would be thrilled.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How are things?
Sorry for the late reply things have been hard. He is making a slow turn around and is doing much better at the moment. Still struggling with movement mostly when he uses the litter box. He has accidents on himself.

But eating has picked up not a ton but enough to make me happy. He's back to licking his old food like fancy feast. I've been trying to watch to see if he eats crunches but for now I've only seen hard treats. He took some big stretches on the cat scratcher today and even though he didn't participate I did a little play time with him and my other cats. He kind of laid and watched but was interested enough to stay around for it.

His tummy is upset and I'm now back to the diarrhea which was one of the original reasons I went to the vet. No way can I use antibiotics after all of that. So I'm trying probiatics.

If anyone has some good cures, please let me know. He a fussy eater and since still not up to his normal amount of eating not sure what I can get in him. Going to try pumpkin tomorrow. It's messy the diarrhea I'm up right now in the night cleaning it from his behind and on the floor. Which sounds like no big deal but he's been through so much and eveytime I do it, he gets so scared he pants and then his behavior is weird and I can't tell what is bc I'm cleaning his butt or sickness.

Also messy in my home and it's hard to keep up. I've just been washing and scrubbing and then making sure he's ok. But I rather have diarrhea than the other so I'm happy he's getting better.

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad to hear he is getting better!

For the diarrhea, I’d suggest waiting until he’s had more time to recover and is eating well before you try this, but at some point you might want to look into “limited ingredient, novel protein” foods (duck, rabbit, venison, possibly lamb). One common cause of diarrhea in cats is food sensitivities, so if the diarrhea goes away when he’s only eating unfamiliar proteins then that points pretty strongly to a sensitivity as the cause. Be sure the food is limited ingredient, not just novel protein - there are plenty of foods out there that say one animal like “duck” on the label but also contain protein from chickens and beef, plus soy and wheat, any one of which he could have a sensitivity to. So look for the words “limited ingredient” if you’re choosing a food for a novel protein trial. Koha tends to be a pretty good brand for this.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you I might grab a few cans of chicken limited ingredients today. He's a picky eater and even when he's feeling good the higher quality foods hes doesnt go for. Why don't they just work with us lol! I had a senior cat I was feeding very high quality limited ingredient food before she passed and I always try to see if I can just feed everyone the same thing and he never ate it. But let's try again. You never know and I'm going to the store today.

Their dry food is a mix of Biome and cheaper stuff bc the Biome is 50 bucks a small bag. That does have some good stuff in it to help tummies. I just don't think he's been eating it.

I was reading the forums last night for Diarreah..in the morning hours after scrubbing poo put of the carpet and a lot of people talked about SS Boulardi. I happen to have some probiotics with this in it. It's says they expired in November 2022 but I'm sure a month doesn't make a huge difference so I'm trying this. I got him to get it down with a liquid treat this morning. It's just 1 dose a day so I'll see how today goes and maybe pick up some pumpkin. Although I would be shocked if he ate that but I'll try!!

I'm sure all the antibiotics and then him not eating to next only really eating liquid food is part or the problem. Hes also using the box weird where its getting all over him. He's still struggling with his movement.

But like I said I rather be scrubbing poo out of everything than him dying or where I was before so I'll take the small wins. I'm just tired after this week and need a breather.