Cat & Automatic Water Container

rosie211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am in desperate need of some help. I have two automatic water containers, this is them exactly

http://www.petstore.com/petmate-le-...er-with-microban-large-5-gallons-peacock-blue

I have 2 large dogs, 1 small one and 5 cats. I have to have a large supply of water all the time. These were my solution until my newest cat. He has somehow figured out how to knock them over. 5 gallons of water on the floor is not fun. I am so tired of waking up to a huge mess, today alone, I have used every single towel cleaning up this mess. One upstairs and one down.

I have read so many things here and on other sites, but this seemed the best way to get some answers. 

What can I do to make this stop? I don't want to spend more money, we spend way too much on the animals as it is. Between food, litter, vet bills, it's too much. If I can't find a way to stop this, I am going to lose my mind. I don't want to get rid of my kitten, he is not a year old yet and sweet as can be most of the time. He only weighs 10 pounds so I can't even understand how he is knocking these over. He will knock the top part off sometimes and others he will have the whole thing knocked over.

Help Please!!!!!!

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you just get rid of the automatic one and just use more water bowls? Nice large ones for the dogs and maybe little fountains for the kitties. Are you away for long periods of time? I ask just wondering why it needs to be automatic.

Cats seem to do things and we will never know the "why". Getting him to stop knocking it over will probably never happen till he decides it's just not fun to do so anymore. I had a cat that would empty the water bowl by digging all the water out of it. I never figured out the why. I dealt with it by putting plastic under it. Maybe you could find a something to put under the automatic to catch the spillage, though 5 gallons of water is ALOT. But getting him to stop, not sure how you can do that, unless you can be there every time he attempts it and maybe shake a can with coins inside to startle him into stopping. Though then he may just become afraid of that water bowel altogether.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may try to fit a couple of stones or bricks inside to way it down, just so they are big enough not to cover the hole by falling down inside of it. Or you may set the whole thing on a piece of plywood, put an eye screw on each side and  bungee it down. I don't think he could knock it over if it had a wider 'base' somehow. I've also seen those canning crocks at garage sales, those would hold a lot and couldn't be knocked over, they are pottery and heavy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosie211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are pretty busy and it's been very convenient to use the automatic waterers. We have to refill them about every two days which is much easier than refilling water bowls a gazillion times a day. Although not using them may be the only option I have at this point. I put the cat in a room for a half hour to give me a chance to get everything cleaned up. As soon as I let him out, he went and did it again; thankfully, I hadn't refilled it yet and it was just a small amount. It's like it's fun to him ~ I guess I'll be using regular water bowls, although I don't know how in the world I will keep enough water out for everyone :(

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate you taking the time :)

rosie211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You may try to fit a couple of stones or bricks inside to way it down, just so they are big enough not to cover the hole by falling down inside of it. Or you may set the whole thing on a piece of plywood, put an eye screw on each side and  bungee it down. I don't think he could knock it over if it had a wider 'base' somehow. I've also seen those canning crocks at garage sales, those would hold a lot and couldn't be knocked over, they are pottery and heavy.
Great ideas, thank you!!! The bricks are a great idea but I really like the bungee and plywood idea better! I guess my husband has some work to later, lol! 

bentliy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I relate! My cats used to dump over the plastic bowls I watered them out of. But when they started getting acne, and when Angel got a UTI, the vet suggested we buy a stainless steel or ceramic fountain to encourage her to drink and get rid of the acne.

The Drinkwell 360 Fountain in Stainless Steel has been fantastic. It's heavy, with a wide base. It's less than $70 and comes with spouts that allow 2-5 streams of water. I'd still recommend putting a mat under it, since some of my cats have figured out how to paw it across the floor. :D

Also, has about a gallon capacity. You mentioned the convenience of the auto waterer so you can fill water less... Well, technically water should be changed and fresh at least once per day for dogs AND cats. And would you rather fill a fountain/dish with fresh water a couple times a day, or sop up spilled water a couple times a day? :]

A fountain like this one is very easy to wash with dish soap every few days (I do once a week) and all you have to do is pour fresh water into it as they drink! And you may find they drink MORE, since running water encourages drinking, which is a good thing. :]

Last edited:

rosie211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your helpful replies, I really appreciate them all. 

I have not refilled the waterers yet but instead have been using bowls of water. It's working fine for now but as soon as my husband gets something figured out, I'll take a picture to share with you all.

Thanks for making me feel so welcome and offering advice; it's been very helpful. Hope you all have a great day!