Cat Attacks His Sibling Every Time He Sees Him To The Point Where Sibling Won't Leave Room?

danaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
they're both 2 years old and male. this just started around 2-3 weeks ago. my one cat (mittens) will chase the other (blackie) as soon as he sees him, and will attack him to the point where there is fur flying everywhere. there isn't a time where mittens sees blackie that he won't attack him or creep up on him and it has escalated to the point now where blackie is afraid to leave my room. i put his litter box, food and water bowls in my room because in the beginning, he actually pooped on my shirt because he felt like he couldn't leave the room. (before all this started, mittens would also actually attack blackie whenever he went to the bathroom in his litter box which is next to mittens' box.) i leave my bedroom door closed a lot because if not, mittens will come in and jump him. blackie just sits in the corner of my room all day. sometimes in the afternoon/night when im at work, my mom will tell me that he went and sat in the kitchen next to the sink for a little bit but will run back into my room once mittens comes into the kitchen. he will also lay on my lap in the living room if i bring him in. but besides that, he's pretty much confined himself to my bedroom. anyone else ever experience anything like this? we're thinking about bringing them to the vet and seeing if there's anything physically wrong with them. sorry if this is all jumbled!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I guess the first question everyone will ask is, "Are both cats neutered?"

If they are, then it is possible that Mittens heard or saw another animal that upset him, and he's now taking out his aggression on Blackie.

Re-directed Aggression In Cats

Since you now have Blackie in your room, perhaps try doing a complete re-introduction between him and Mittens.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
The Multi-cat Household

Regarding Mittens attacking Blackie when Blackie uses the litter box, try putting Blackie's litter box, or a 3rd litter box, in a different room altogether. That way Mittens can't stalk both litter boxes at the same time, and Blackie should be able to use the one that's "free".

How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, rubysmama rubysmama just took the words right off of my fingertips! I was reading your post, and thinking of articles that might help, and there they all are! All I will add is that you MUST be patient with any of the techniques. There is no set time period. The cat has to call the shots on when they are ready to progress from one step to the next.

Keep us posted!