Cat attacking under the dish washer

smartyfoj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat Joey has recently taken to putting his paws underneath the dish washer and pulling out insulation which he then proceeds to eat.  I certainly don't want him to eat the insulation and I'm also afraid he could get stuck. It happened to one of our other cats but he eventually lost interest bin pawing at the dish washer. I'm afraid Joey is quite determined and the only thing we've been doing is removing him from the dish washer but I was wondering if anyone has better tips especially because we aren't home all the time.  We did try to put some tinfoil down but Joey thought that the tinfoil was a fun toy.    

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Is it possible to plug the space with something else that he would not be able to paw out and or not be harmful for him?  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smartyfoj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My family tried putting some cardboard to cover the gap but we can't exactly plug the area because we are afraid that the dish washer needs to vent so it doesn't overheat. Also the cardboard didn't work out because when we open the dish washer the tape holding the cardboard to the dish washer comes undone. So any other suggestions would be welcome.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you need something sturdy that will last.  What brand of dishwasher?  You may be able to get a replacement kick plate from the manufacturer.  I have no idea what that might cost; but it might be easier and then you would know what is there is safe for both the dishwasher and your kitty.

The other thought I had is something made from the same material as a radiator cover; if that can be cut to size. 

A more cost efficient and long term solution would be a piece of plywood or MDF cut to size and screwed into place.  You could use a drill to make holes for ventilation.  Looking at my dishwasher; the kick plate is solid.  The only gaps for air are around the sides and top where it fits into the cabinet.