Cat attacking me and other household cat

ngoik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HELP! PLEASE!

I have two cats, Kitcha(about 6 now) and her kitten, Chandler (about 5).

For a long time now, kitcha has been hissing and swiping at Chandler, but nothing too serious. But recently she's been randomly attacking him, chasing him around the house, and making this awful hissing sound (like she's about to kill him)

Today it got really bad. I let both of the cats back inside, Kitcha walked over to chandler, smelled him, he walked away, and she attacked him. I chased them around the house trying to get her to stop, managed to grab Chandler to take him downstairs and Kitcha attacked me!

could someone please tell me what to do? Im afraid she's going to really hurt him, and I can't always monitor them.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS. Are they both neutered/spayed? A mother cat sometimes doesn't want any part of their babies. I have a mother and her 4 kittens and she wants nothing to do with them. If they are indoor/outdoor cats maybe theres a cat outside that is bothering her. You could also try a Feliway Diffuser. It does calm the cats down. I'm sure someone else will be along that can give you other suggestions.

Good Luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ngoik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you
yes, they are both spayed and neutered, and both are outdoor cats. I will take a look at the Feliway Diffuser. I also called the vet, and expect a call back on monday, hopefully he will have some answers for me

northwest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 1.5 year old male named Bubby, and a 8 month old female named Coco. I had Bubby for about a year and then got Coco as a companion because I work all day long.

At first, Bubby didn't like little Coco at all. He was king of the castle and here was this little one coming in to threaten is territory, love, affection, attention, etc.

Cats are probably one of the smartest pets there is. Your cat might be acting aloof and having these temper tantrums because it is jealous of the little one.

What I did was I got all three of us to bond together. I would go into a spare bedroom and shut the door and bring in the toys and play with them. Bubby would hiss at Coco and start to show his fangs. Each time he did that I would say his name very sternly a few times and then go over and pet the little kitten to show Bubby that Coco was a good thing. Then I would hold Bubby in my arms and cuddle with him, to let him know that I still loved him even though there was another cat in the house.

I kept doing this bonding with all three of us. Showing Bubby my dislike for his behavior, reinforcing that Coco was a good thing and then follow it up with cuddling Bubby and talking sweet and softly to him. I kept Coco separated from Bubby in the spare bedroom between our bonding play times and when I was at work.

After about a week of this procedure each night, Bubby's hissing slowly decreased and his acceptance of Coco increased. Eventually they began chasing after the toys together and playing together.

At this point I started holding them in my arms together. Bubby under one arm and Coco under the other while I watched TV. This helped to strengthen all three of our bonds. It also showed Bubby that I still loved him just as much and that he wasn't second class cat in the house. I also made special time to play with and bond with Bubby alone, just to show him that he was still very special.

About two weeks later, Bubby became Coco's best friend and now they are a bonded pair. These two pictures were taken shortly after they were totally bonded, about two weeks.

http://i56.tinypic.com/iypxjo.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/11hs39t.jpg

Work with them and give it time. Don't get discouraged. Sometimes it takes a while for one cat to change.