Cat attacked my son

bfguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this behavior is related to the new kitten. It's not the first time he's bitten or scratched, but they are usually benign. More him swatting without claws extended, but they still managing to leave a small mark. Biting again has only ever been him resting his teeth on you, never clamping down.

But tonight it was crazy. We've slowly moved from no contact to being in the same room with the kitten. He came over while I was holding the kitten and never hissed, never postured, just enjoyed having his ears scratched while I held the kitten.

He even seemed fine when my 7 year old son came over to pet him, offering up wherever he wanted to be caressed. Then DS turned his head to look at me, and in that blink the cat lunged at him gripping his head between all four paws and biting. My son started screaming, and my daughter started yelling and the noise scared him off, but I have to stop this behavior now.

His head, ear and Corner of his eye are scratched as well as his arm. The one on his face came dangerously close to his eyeball.

I feel like I did something wrong. I feel like I should have been able to prevent this. I have never had a cat react like this with an introduction of another one. But this has the potential to get bad and fast. My fur baby is obviously stressed and my son is terrified and in pain. And I'm not sure what to do.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry your son was attacked.  During this still new introduction period, it might be best to keep your children out of the process.  Their quick movements can be very frightening to cats. The cat is still very frightened and unless the kids can sit on the floor and not move, I would not allow them access right now.  Give the cats time to adjust to the home and adults first.  Then teach the children how to interact with the cats. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bfguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is his cat.He's used to my son. That's why it makes no sense. He picked him out 4 years ago and they've been buddies ever since.

I haven't interacted much with the cat since then. I'm torn between feeling guilty and being angry with him. And I know this behavior is going to havetheir dad pushing to get rid of him when I take them for visitation this week.

His mantra is kids above all, and I agree to a point, but I should try to rectify this first.

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Did something else happen at that moment? A noise maybe? Something from outside? It could be something unrelated to your son and the cat directed its anger on him because he was closest?

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Did something else happen at that moment? A noise maybe? Something from outside? It could be something unrelated to your son and the cat directed its anger on him because he was closest?
I agree with this. Maybe your cat was in "hunting" mode or defence mode while being in the same room as the kitten. And your son, unfortunately, was just there at the wrong time. Have you done formal introductions between the kitten and the resident cat? You might have to redo introductions again and I agree with keeping your kids out of this process - although that might be difficult but I'm hoping someone will have a more detailed suggestion on how to do so.

bfguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We did do formal introductions, and then kept them separate for about a week of no seeing each other. Just allowing her scent to settle for him. I have them completely separated again and not sure where to start in the process now.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We did do formal introductions, and then kept them separate for about a week of no seeing each other. Just allowing her scent to settle for him. I have them completely separated again and not sure where to start in the process now.
If you only kept them separated for a week and then did not go back to intros, the process needs to be started again.  Start by feeding them on opposite sides of a closed door.  Do not move beyond this for a few days.  Make sure there is no growling or hissing.  If there is, move the bowls further away from the door.  After a few days of all going well, you can crack the door or preferably use a baby gate.  Then cover the baby gate with a sheet.  They can smell each other better, but still not see each other.  Then raise the sheet some and feed from there.

During the reintro phase, the cats should have very little contact with each other besides the feeding times.  If they are out in the room together, there needs to be complete supervision.  I do not believe they are ready to be out together at this time.  Introductions can take weeks to months to months and months.  The key is to take it very very very slowly. 

bfguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We don't let the kitten in the same room unless she is being held, ever. And we were doing the opposite sides of doors. I didn't have a baby gate though, so I tried sitting in the doorway to block them from each other but allow them to see each other, two days ago. It seemed to go well as long as she didn't look at his food, which only happened once waiting on me to put hers down.

I hadn't moved past this step, and any interaction they have had, he has initiatedd,while I held her.

I've told the kids to just stay away from him right now until I can get a grip on his behavior. And I've instructed them not to even take her out of her room for now.

Last edited:

volia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have each of them sleeping with something that has the other's scent on it? Or perhaps having your son spend some time with the kitten (getting the kitten's scent on him) and then go to the older cats area and spending time with him? 

This might sound a little crazy but if you don't have a gate and would like to get the cats used to seeing each other, you might consider putting a clear shower liner up. Honestly I'm not sure it would work, but being a bit insane myself, I know that it is something I would try in your place.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
My rainbow cat Milo used to periodically lash out like this. He would go for the face every time and sink his claws into me. It was really scary and I never figured out what set him off but he adored me too. This reminds me of your son being attacked by his own cat.

He did stop doing this when he was about 9 or 10 but I always took great care around him. It helped that these were very rare events - 3 or 4 per year.

It's interesting because Milo was not happy having Wesley, another male cat in the house and I always wondered if there was a connection. In his case, he was the new cat. Wesley was already there when he arrived.

bfguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok feeliway will have to wait until payday. It's pricey.

I took today to try to move past the eating by closed doors today since the kids are with their dad and I wouldn't have their distractions. I opened the door and sat between them two feet apart. It went well with him walking away a few minutes later.

I brought the kitten out and held her for a few minutes offering him some treats. This time he nibbled the walked about 1-2 getting .Away from her.

He. Did great. Even purred and rolled on to his back for belly ribs which he never does.The introduction lasted about ten minnutes.I'm not sure where to move from here though .I don't want him attack again.

bfguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, we've been doing all meals with me sitting in the doorway. They nibble a little, look up at the other one, and go back to eating, but until today, they never looked up at the same time. That time they stared at each other for a bit before resuming eating.

When big boy gets done I let him go regardless if if his food is gone. I'll try to coax him back but I don't push the issue.

Yesterday I managed some parallel play. I held kitten on my lap and went back and forth with a toy on a string. At one point Solar (big boy) walked less than four inches from Sassenach's nose, sniffed and walked away. So that's progress.

Today he wouldn't play but he did nibble a few treats. I held her so she wouldn't jump and stress him but allowed her to crawl within a foot of him. Solar looked at her a minute and reached out (no claws extended) to bat her in the face. I'm not sure if this was aggression or an attempt and feeling her out but I stopped play time immediately and returned her to her room in case he was getting worked up.

I wish I could understand cat-ese better. Then maybe he could tell me what exactly he was thinking so I could judge if he was playing or not. I don't want to risk more hissing or attacks of each other or my children.

Last edited: