Cat attacked/medication question

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has high fever he is 7 months old bis temperature is 104°f rn gets aren't picking up my call it's late at night what do I do

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Is there an emergency 24 hour pet hospital available? I understand that there may not be; however, the cause of the fever has to be determined so a he can be treated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is he allowed outside? Has he been out before he was feeling sick?
Is he ok with the vaccines?
He got attacked by another cat in evening when he was out

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there an emergency 24 hour pet hospital available? I understand that there may not be; however, the cause of the fever has to be determined so a he can be treated.
There is none he has a puncture, I am doing cold compress from normal tap water

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be an infection, cat bites are very prone to getting infected, the tooth or claw almost injects the bacteria into the flesh.

He needs to see a vet for an antibiotic most likely, fever would indicate infection is present.

Please transition your cat to an indoor only kitty or only let him out supervised so that this doesn't happen again.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with IndyJones IndyJones .
Your cat need a visit and likely an antibiotic.
Bites get infected very easily, and can even lead to bad outcomes.

What do you know about the other cat? Is it a stray or feral?
Cat bites can also transmit viral diseases, like FIV or FeLV.

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat was attacked by another cat and he has a puncture and fever last night i am not sure if he had fever coz I bathe him after he was attacked coz he was covered in mud or f it's infection,he doesn't have fever now I wanna take him to veg but my when I took my previous cat to the vet for the same reason the vet gave us this doxycycline antibiotic for 10 days? I have never heard of such antibiotics and 10 days dose seems to be alot so I didn't give my last cat the medicine , what is the dose of typical antibiotics?
I am afraid to go to such vets as they are the top ones ,I have also seen many bad reviews about these vets online here how they overdosed their pets with antibiotics and it killed them.

I have no clue what to do,or if he needs antibiotics (he has a puncture tho),what antibiotics and dose could someone help.

Last edited:

SundaesPerson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anywhere from 7-14 days is fairly standard just to be sure an infection is either cleared or prevented, so I wouldn't worry too much, unless your cat experiences side effects that last more than a few days.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Doxycycline isn't an antibiotic to mess around with. If it is in pill or capsule form, you need to put it into an empty gel capsule (from health food store) and feed the cat before and after giving. If the pill or capsule hits the cat's throat, it can cause a potentially life-threatening problem of esophageal stricture. It is also a really strong antibiotic, and your cat may not need it. Also, you need to check the expiration date of the antibiotics. There are some medications that can be used passed the expiration date, but antibiotics should not.

For treatment of the wound, the best, if he will tolerate it is to warm compress the area with a warm washcloth several times a day. Cats get into trouble with bite wounds because they heal so effectively that the bacterium from the bite gets trapped inside and an abscess will form.
Are you sure it was a cat fight? I have seen cats get attacked by dogs and only have a small wound on the outside but major internal damage. It is best to get your cat checked by a veterinarian after a fight. If you don't like your current veterinarian, or trust them, find another if available.

I would not recommend washing him again. You can interfere with the healing process and also stress him, even if you don't think he is stressed.

Does he fight allot? Is he neutered?

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Doxycycline isn't an antibiotic to mess around with. If it is in pill or capsule form, you need to put it into an empty gel capsule (from health food store) and feed the cat before and after giving. If the pill or capsule hits the cat's throat, it can cause a potentially life-threatening problem of esophageal stricture. It is also a really strong antibiotic, and your cat may not need it. Also, you need to check the expiration date of the antibiotics. There are some medications that can be used passed the expiration date, but antibiotics should not.

For treatment of the wound, the best, if he will tolerate it is to warm compress the area with a warm washcloth several times a day. Cats get into trouble with bite wounds because they heal so effectively that the bacterium from the bite gets trapped inside and an abscess will form.
Are you sure it was a cat fight? I have seen cats get attacked by dogs and only have a small wound on the outside but major internal damage. It is best to get your cat checked by a veterinarian after a fight. If you don't like your current veterinarian, or trust them, find another if available.

I would not recommend washing him again. You can interfere with the healing process and also stress him, even if you don't think he is stressed.

Does he fight allot? Is he neutered?
He is not neutered we rescued him months back,he is young,he is very amiable he gets attacked he never tries to fight with any animal,he is very social,
Your reply a lot but I have I ummm...have a few questions
He is 7 months old and I do not want to give him such strong and dangerous antibiotics,can you recommend the name of other suitable antibiotics name I could ask my vet to prescribe him?

Also he is considered the best vet tho he doesn't know much,when I gave the antibiotic to my first cat he immediately threw up and the vet said it didn't suit him, but after my Google research I found out it is very common side effect of doxycycline and the vet didn't even know that.

I doesn't even let me touch his wound I don't think he can take hot compress,but I have creams and sprays for that.

I am pretty sure it was a cat who attacked him coz i can see claw marks on his body.

If he ever come home like that again covered in mud should I not wash him in that condition ? Would it be better?

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG-20220426-WA0000.jpeg

That's the bite above his abdomen in ribs area below his arms closer to his back

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wowwwww you guys won't believe what just happened I called the vet to fix an appointment ,luckily the vet picked up the call, and he said you cat doesn't need any antibiotic,I told him about the fever and his fast breathing he barely has 30 breath per minute rate,and the doctor say uh don't believe what internet says,he is good,just apply topical solution,I am like really? Then why would he have fever if there is not infection or bacteria? The vets are hopeless here.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What country are you in? That is frustrating.
keep him inside. Make sure he eats and drinks. I wouldn’t put anything on it. You want it open and draining.

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with IndyJones IndyJones .
Your cat need a visit and likely an antibiotic.
Bites get infected very easily, and can even lead to bad outcomes.

What do you know about the other cat? Is it a stray or feral?
Cat bites can also transmit viral diseases, like FIV or FeLV.
you guys won't believe what just happened I called the vet to fix an appointment ,luckily the vet picked up the call, and he said your cat doesn't need any antibiotic,I told him about the fever and his fast breathing he barely has 30 breath per minute rate,and the doctor say uh don't believe what internet says,he is good,just apply topical solution,I am like really? Then why would he have fever if there is not infection or bacteria? The vets are hopeless here.
My cat has high fever he is 7 months old bis temperature is 104°f rn gets aren't picking up my call it's late at night what do I do
UPDATE!
What country are you in? That is frustrating.
keep him inside. Make sure he eats and drinks. I wouldn’t put anything on it. You want it open and draining.
I am in south Asia,should I really not apply anything?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Read about the panting while bathing. I cannot stress this enough, no more baths. I work at an emergency vet. A lady’s 8 month old cat died as the result of her bathing him. He died from the stress. He went into congestive heart failure and had no heart beat. We did CPR for 20 minutes and couldn’t get him back.
A cat panting is not normal. It is very dangerous to the cat to be so stressed.
Keep your cat inside and please get him neutered.

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh
Read about the panting while bathing. I cannot stress this enough, no more baths. I work at an emergency vet. A lady’s 8 month old cat died as the result of her bathing him. He died from the stress. He went into congestive heart failure and had no heart beat. We did CPR for 20 minutes and couldn’t get him back.
A cat panting is not normal. It is very dangerous to the cat to be so stressed.
Keep your cat inside and please get him neutered.
Oh my God I feel so sick now,I don't think I can ever recover from this I am shocked bout what was gonna happen,it's very disturbing I m so shocked rn,I would have never forgiven myself if it happened never,thank you so much I can't thank you enough.