Cat ate the elastic from a surgical mask more than a week ago

ThorFluff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat ate the elastic from a surgical mask more than a week ago

I contacted the vet right away, he said that we should wait it out, as the elastic is not that long (maybe 3 inches, give or take). I kept looking for the string in the litterbox but it has not come out yet. 9 days have already passed.

The kitten is 5 months old, 4.5 kg (he is not fat, just larger than most cats his age) and is acting completely normal, playful as always, eating and passing stools as usual. He does not react aggressively when we pick him up or touch his belly, so he does not seem to be in pain.

Should I keep worrying and looking for the string? Is there any possibility that this will cause problems in the future? I need advice. If you had similar experiences, please share. Thank you!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Nine days does seem like a long time for the elastic to pass. I am assuming you saw her swallow it? And, is there any place she might have vomited it up? Often if a cat has to puke they will go under a bed or behind furniture. If he is doing everything normally he probably is okay but I would still check in with the vet to get his or her opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ThorFluff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nine days does seem like a long time for the elastic to pass. I am assuming you saw her swallow it? And, is there any place she might have vomited it up? Often if a cat has to puke they will go under a bed or behind furniture. If he is doing everything normally he probably is okay but I would still check in with the vet to get his or her opinion.
thank you very much for the reply!
A friend left his mask in the living room where the cat could reach it, we went to the kitchen for exactly 10 minutes and when we returned the mask was on the floor and the string was chewed off. A little part of the string was still attached to the rest, when I pulled on it, it came off. (Maybe he tore the elastic into smaller pieces and did not swallow the whole thing?) I looked for the string everywhere but could not find it so I assumed he ate it.

I will check behind the furniture and definitely call the vet again.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably well past time now. But if this should happen again, I recommend scooping poops with a plastic baggie. Seal the baggie. Then squish the sealed baggie around with your fingers to inspect the contents.

ThorFluff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At the risk of being "icky" about this...unless you actually took a stick of some sort and broke apart each piece of feces, you might have missed the string. They can be balled up and surrounded by fecal material. Do not ask me how I know this.
Well, i kind of did that 🤣 but not always, so you are right, I might have missed it. Especially if he did not swallow the whole piece.

ThorFluff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's probably well past time now. But if this should happen again, I recommend scooping poops with a plastic baggie. Seal the baggie. Then squish the sealed baggie around with your fingers to inspect the contents.
Thank you for the advice! I will remember this in case it will be necessary.

ThorFluff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: the vet said that if he feels ok, chances are he eliminated it, because it would have caused problems by now if not.

Thank you all for your help!