Cat ate string, passed most of it but he accidentally pulled out the rest

sjcg2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat ate a piece of string from a cat mouse toy which I didn't know because he'd been acting normal. This evening he's using the restroom and string comes out he passes most of it it seems but accidentally steps on it and pulls the remainder out. He seems fine, he's grooming himself in the cat bed on the office desk and has been sleeping in normal cute upturned positions. I just worry...will he be okay

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my cat ate a piece of string from a cat mouse toy which I didn't know because he'd been acting normal. This evening he's using the restroom and string comes out he passes most of it it seems but accidentally steps on it and pulls the remainder out. He seems fine, he's grooming himself in the cat bed on the office desk and has been sleeping in normal cute upturned positions. I just worry...will he be okay
I guess that if by now you haven't seen any other signs of discomfort or blood or else, it is probably fine.
Are you sure that he passed all the string? Have you tried to put the segments/pieces back together and see if the result matches the whole string as you knew it?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sjcg2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems to be the amount that was missing. No blood, no signs of discomfort apart from him pulling the string out when he stepped on it, he jumped on the office desk cat bed and started grooming himself and then has been asleep in his normal comfy poses. Occasionally stretching and shifting around to present his belly in his sleep. Also a kitty dream. So I think he's okay. But I always worry when something is amiss because I just assume the worst.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems to be the amount that was missing. No blood, no signs of discomfort apart from him pulling the string out when he stepped on it, he jumped on the office desk cat bed and started grooming himself and then has been asleep in his normal comfy poses. Occasionally stretching and shifting around to present his belly in his sleep. Also a kitty dream. So I think he's okay. But I always worry when something is amiss because I just assume the worst.
You keep an eye on him for a few hours. See if he has appetite and uses the litter box normally.
And I think you'll be doing just what I do, cut away all strings, tails, and similar appendixes from all toys in the house!

One of my cats has a passion for strings.
She ate the string for my eyeglasses, and passed it two days later. She also ate two rubber bands (on two different occasions), and passed them in short segments, and I kept all the segments apart until I reconstructed the whole rubber band!

sjcg2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From this point on definitely. No more strings which his sister will hate but it's for the best. I hope he's through it, he seems alright and he has a healthy appetite so I'll offer him his wet food when he wakes up.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From this point on definitely. No more strings which his sister will hate but it's for the best. I hope he's through it, he seems alright and he has a healthy appetite so I'll offer him his wet food when he wakes up.
That's the way to go.
Please, let us know how things are going in the next few hours.

sjcg2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He woke me up this morning as he normally does with cuddles. I went down to feed him he ate the normal amount he does. He took a couple laps of water and he peed. No poop yet!

sjcg2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Better and better, it seems 😊
I am positive that the worst part of this experience is way back now.
That's reassuring to hear thank you. I've disposed of all string in the house and all laced shoes are in places he can't get into. I'm thankful it exited with mostly no issue. It's the first time dealing with that particular issue so I had no idea what to expect but he seems normal today.