Cat ate some sauce containing garlic and onion??

kmh039

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I left a bowl on the kitchen counter last night with some leftover chicken and rice in it. While settling in for the night I found my 6 pound cat on the counter eating from it, I didn't even know she could get on to the counter until then. I cant be sure how much she ate. It had a sauce that contains garlic and onion flavoring (low on the list of ingredients but still present) im worried about her as she is so small and already has dietary allergies. She's acting normally so far but I know it can take several days for symptoms to show. Should I take her to the vet tomorrow anyway, or wait it out and see what happens?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think you need to wait and watch. If they were low on the ingredient list she could well be fine. Just make sure she has lots of water/food that is moist. If there is any sign of an issue, then it's off to the vet.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would take her in as the garlic and onions can cause anemia. If she also has food allergies it could cause a flare up of that as well that could be prevented with medication. I would definitely take her in

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I left a bowl on the kitchen counter last night with some leftover chicken and rice in it. While settling in for the night I found my 6 pound cat on the counter eating from it, I didn't even know she could get on to the counter until then. I cant be sure how much she ate. It had a sauce that contains garlic and onion flavoring (low on the list of ingredients but still present) im worried about her as she is so small and already has dietary allergies. She's acting normally so far but I know it can take several days for symptoms to show. Should I take her to the vet tomorrow anyway, or wait it out and see what happens?

I would wait to see unless you already have the appointment and you are worried take her in. Chances are she will be fine. One of our cats years ago used to eat Doritos, curry, pizza, bagels and more and he lived to be 18 and was fine. As for the allergies if she is allergic to an ingredient and is exposed to it what do you normally do? My current guys are super sensitive and can only eat home made food and one specific canned food flavor or chicken, turkey tidbits. If they get into something else like the outdoor cat’s catfood they may get soft stool once but then it goes back to normal quickly.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to wait and watch.
I would wait to see...
:yeah: +1.

The amount of garlic and onion in packaged food is usually pretty small. Real garlic can be expensive. Companies want to sell food for the best price so it's not cost effective to use a lot of expensive ingredients.

Yes, allium (the scientific name for the family of plants that contains things like onion, garlic, scallion, shallot, leek, and chives) is bad for cats and dogs but a bite or two won't kill them. It probably takes a lot to make most cats sick.

When I was a kid, garlic was a folk remedy for keeping fleas away from dogs and cats. I can't say that I recommend it but that's what the legend says. With all advice like that, take it with a grain of salt.
What I am trying to say, here, is that, in the old days, people used to feed garlic to their pets. Crazy, huh?! :doh:

Watch your cat for a day or two to make sure she isn't getting sick. Make sure she has plenty of food and water. Check to be sure that she's eating, drinking and using the litter box as she normally does. It will probably take a few days for the bad stuff to clear from her system but, after that, I think she'll be okay.

Do keep an eye on her, from now on, to be sure she doesn't get into anything she's not supposed to. ;)

If you notice any problems, get on the horn to your vet, post-haste and be sure to tell them "allium toxicity."
That's a key word that should get their attention. It should also let them know what to do and to and get ready for you by the time you get there.

My bet? Keep her out of the garlic, from now on, and she'll be just fine. :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmh039

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would wait to see unless you already have the appointment and you are worried take her in. Chances are she will be fine. One of our cats years ago used to eat Doritos, curry, pizza, bagels and more and he lived to be 18 and was fine. As for the allergies if she is allergic to an ingredient and is exposed to it what do you normally do? My current guys are super sensitive and can only eat home made food and one specific canned food flavor or chicken, turkey tidbits. If they get into something else like the outdoor cat’s catfood they may get soft stool once but then it goes back to normal quickly.
Her allergies cause basically itchy hives. She did throw up a little bit ago, but it was just a hairball when I looked. Shes still acting normally, gums look healthy, and normal litterbox use. She doesn't seem to be having any issues as of yet so I'm hoping it stays that way.