Cat ate ribbon.

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Baby is obsessed with ribbon or anything mesh. We keep all the ribbons in my parents room, and the cats aren’t allowed in there. Somehow she got in and ate some ribbon. I am not sure how much, as I didn’t see her eat it. This morning she threw up her food with a piece of ribbon in it, probably around 4 inches long. Since then she hasn't eaten, and has thrown up just liquid once. She seems interested in food, but doesn’t actually eat it.
Right now she is just laying down near my door. The vet office is already closed and I’m not sure if they are open tomorrow as it is Memorial Day. Is there anything I can do to help pass the rest of the ribbon if there even is any more? Should I start to syringe feed her or wait? I cannot afford a trip to the emergency vet, I don’t have the money.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not knowing how much she ate is obviously an issue. I would say for the moment to just keep an eye on her and see how she acts. If she continues not eating and just doesn't seem herself, you may have to bite the bullet and take her in to be seen once the Vet is open. You can probably wait to see your regular Vet vs an Emergency Vet though. Can you at least look in her mouth and make sure no ribbon is caught up in there, like around her tongue? Hopefully she vomited it all out, but really we have no way of knowing, and I'm guessing even the Vet won't know without taking an Xray or something similar. Perhaps you could give her a little butter or oil or hairball gel to see if you can get anything in there to slide on out the back end, IF there is anything in her, but, of course, if she isn't eating, that might be a problem getting it in her.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
This can be a danger to your pets health. Please monitor your cat closely and make a vet appointment for as soon as you can. If things take a turn for the worse then please try to find a vet hospital asap. Ribbon can cause a bowel obstruction and it can reak havoc internally. If she has not thrown up again, then please give your cat very soft food for now and see if she can hold it down. Try to give her hair ball lubrication, so that hopefully if she passes it without complication. If your cat does try to have a bowl movement and some ribbon is dangling out of her anus--please do NOT pull it out. This can cause internal damage.

Here is an article I hope you find helpful. Please remain vigilant. Best of luck to you and your kitty.🙂
My Cat Ate String: Dangers, What to Do & Treatments

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very soft food, no hard food whatsoever, as mentioned above, is a good idea I believe. See if she will eat some oil too, it may help her pass it a little easier. And yes, vet appointment as soon as you can, even if symptoms pass. Are you able to contact a vet via phone call? They may be able to give you some advice on whether it is a good idea to make her vomit, and how to do it safely if that is an option. Please do not attempt to make her vomit without consulting a vet first though, you can cause serious and often permanent damage. Best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of your suggestions. I am going to call the vet first thing in the morning and try to book the soonest appointment, but she does seem to be feeling better. She ate a small soup treat around 4 hours ago, and then slept for 4 hours. I just gave her another soupy paste treat and she seems to be able to keep it down. she hasn’t thrown up again but she still seems like she feels bad, laying in the same spot for hours.