Cat ate part of my blanket!

Allison.Mau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 2 year old cat Jack has been notorious for eating pieces of toys since we got him as a baby. He goes through phases...back when he was only a few months old he was going through a phase where he was eating the corners of our coffee table and windowsills...which we corrected and he no longer does that. As of a month ago, I am noticing that he has been eating pieces of his toys more often. We gave him a cute plush reindeer for Christmas and it was completely destroyed within a week. Thankfully this hasn't caused any health issues (that we are aware of) and I find the pieces of the toys passing just fine through his poop...we just now monitor him playing to avoid this. Well.....LAST NIGHT.....we walked into our bedroom to find Jack chewing at our blanket on the bed......the entire corner of the blanket is GONE....pretty sure he ate it because we haven't found it lying around. He pooped fine this morning...but I understand it takes time for cats to digest....so no sign of blanket yet.

My two questions:
1.) When do I become concerned that this blanket he ate is causing a blockage? (he did it last night...pooped fine this morning (with no trace of blanket).....and ate his breakfast and lunch just fine today.

2.) WHY IS HE DOING THIS? He is currently on a prescription diet for urinary care...and seems to be loving his food....(this behavior with the toys began on his old diet) .....I feel like his and his sister's environment is enriched with various trees, scratchers, we watch cat tv.....I play with him at least 20 minutes a day.....I even have Feliway diffusors in our home just incase there is stress......so I have no idea why he is feeling the need to eat inedible items? He has a vet appointment next week as a follow up for his urinary issues which I plan to bring this up there...but until then.......ADVICE?!

Thank you :)

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many cats are notorious for getting into and eating things they shouldn’t, sometimes it’s normal and you just have to be careful with what you leave out but other times it crosses a point where it’s definitely abnormal. In your case this behaviour definitely seems abnormal, because those aren’t the usual objects a cat will go for (a coffee table, really?! lol) so it sounds like he might have pica… a psychological disorder where people (and pets) have a compulsion to eat random inedible (and sometimes dangerous) things. They used to parade people with this disorder around on trashy daytime TV talk shows for entertainment. I’m not sure what can be done for it, but definitely talk to the vet about it.

Watch his stools very carefully for bits of the blanket, and if he starts showing signs of blockage and throwing up, acting lethargic, or stops pooping altogether, get him to the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. For your immediate issue, you just need to keep monitoring him and watch for blanket debris to show up in his stool. If his stool habits change, or he starts to show signs of discomfort, reduced eating, and of course vomiting, then you may need to take him to a vet. You could also call the vet and ask if there is anything you can do to help the situation.

As far as PICA, maybe it would benefit you to read a bit about it. Your cat certainly sounds like he is a 'candidate' for this condition.
Pica in Cats: Causes, Symptoms, & Treatment - Cats.com

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It will depend on what the blanket is made of as well. Is the tag still on it? I would call and as the vet. Waiting can be fatal in these kinds of situations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allison.Mau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It will depend on what the blanket is made of as well. Is the tag still on it? I would call and as the vet. Waiting can be fatal in these kinds of situations.
fleece blanket. No tag.

Allison.Mau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Jack is still acting 100% normal and eating his food with a very hearty appetite .

He hasn't pooped since yesterday morning....but since his new diet began a few weeks ago...he's only been going every other day....so the fact that he hasn't gone is still normal at this point. It is almost 48 hours since he ate the piece of the blanket... I'm expecting him to go to the bathroom at some point tomorrow. I'm assuming that since he's still eating and acting completely fine....he may be okay?

I'll keep you all posted.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you call the vet? What did the vet suggest?

Allison.Mau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update sooner than I expected!:

Jack went potty tonight and I found blanket! Weird talking about poop....but it was a normal size and it was like mostly blanket! I assume there may be more to pass considering he ate quite a chunk...but I'm confident that by what I saw tonight...most of it has passed....so good news! I will continue to monitor but I can sleep a little better tonight :)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update sooner than I expected!:

Jack went potty tonight and I found blanket! Weird talking about poop....but it was a normal size and it was like mostly blanket! I assume there may be more to pass considering he ate quite a chunk...but I'm confident that by what I saw tonight...most of it has passed....so good news! I will continue to monitor but I can sleep a little better tonight :)
Wonderful news! Hurray!