Cat ate hard plastic blinds

Acooke2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 month old kitten and she was trying to look out the window but the blinds were in the way and she chewed through them. I do not know if she actually swallowed a piece because I found 2 little pieces where she was chewing. I am nervous because I just don’t know if she swallowed a piece. If she did it was pretty small. Any advise?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Kittens are mischievous and curious. Depending what material the blinds are made of it could be harmful to her.

This is what I read when I looked it up: The manufacturing of PVC blinds and other PVC products creates massive amounts of toxic byproducts. Many vinyl products, among them PVC blinds, revealed the presence of hydrochloric acid, vinyl chloride, mercury, cadmium, lead and an extremely dangerous carcinogen, dioxin.

If you're not sure whether she swallowed a piece you may want to consult your vet to ask their medical opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Acooke2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Kittens are mischievous and curious. Depending what material the blinds are made of it could be harmful to her.

This is what I read when I looked it up: The manufacturing of PVC blinds and other PVC products creates massive amounts of toxic byproducts. Many vinyl products, among them PVC blinds, revealed the presence of hydrochloric acid, vinyl chloride, mercury, cadmium, lead and an extremely dangerous carcinogen, dioxin.

If you're not sure whether she swallowed a piece you may want to consult your vet to ask their medical opinion.
I am not sure if she actually swallowed a piece. I just found a third piece that seemed to make the hole size. So I am hoping that she didn’t. If she did it would be tiny tiny because there is 3 decent sized pieces now.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Either way she may try to do it again so I would suggest adjusting the blinds in some way to prevent her from chewing on them. Please keep us posted on her progress. :alright:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My oldest chews on blinds if I leave them down. My blinds are aluminum however and one set looks like it went through a meat grinder. He has a bite that could give a pitbull a run for its money.

I've found that if I leave the blinds about halfway up he leaves them alone. Maybe try leaving the blinds about halfway up.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep the blind cords well out of reach, too, to prevent strangulation or ingestion. I'd keep the blinds pulled all the way up if possible for now. Do you have curtains to close for privacy?

3 month old kittens are super curious so you must keep your home as kitten-proof as possible and discourage negative behavior. Bored kittens often seek out things to do. Play with your kitten as often as you can. if possible, consider adopting another kitten or an older cat so the kitten has someone to play with and bother when you're not able to.