Cat ate broom bristles. Emergency. Please help! Agressive and difficult to move.

Dheeksha

Black Cats are full of love ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat ate corn broom bristles yesterday afternoon. He vomited it after some time. When I came to pick it up. I didn't see it. I think he ate it again. He didn't vomit it again. Yesterday night he didn't eat properly. I gave him some special food which he loves. He didn't even eat that completely. Today morning he pooped normally. I didn't see any bristles in his poop. And he didn't eat at all. I gave him some cheese... He ate it. I know I have to take him to the vet. But it is impossible to take him to the vet. He don't even allow to touch me. I dont even no how i have to give any meds to him now. Taking him to the vet is impossible. He'll definitely bite me. Last time he punctured my finger and ripped my nail completely when I took him to the vet. So please how should I save him now.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he’s acting out of the ordinary (not eating, not pooping, etc) you’ll have to take him to the vet. You can’t treat him for a potential intestinal blockage at home.
You can try to see if there’s a vet that makes house calls near you, so the vet can come to you.
You can put his favorite treats/food in the back of the carrier, leave the door open with a string tied to it, then wait for him to go in and slam the door shut.
If he’ll eat a pill wrapped in a treat (or liquid meds mixed into food), you could ask the vet for a sedative and give it to him before the visit and then get him into the carrier after he’s sleepy.
Lastly you can try getting a thick blanket like a quilt, sneaking up on him, and throwing it over him like a net. Before you do this set the carrier on end with the door open facing up. While he’s confused under the blanket, quickly scoop him up with the blanket and drop him into the open carrier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he’s acting out of the ordinary (not eating, not pooping, etc) you’ll have to take him to the vet. You can’t treat him for a potential intestinal blockage at home.
You can try to see if there’s a vet that makes house calls near you, so the vet can come to you.
You can put his favorite treats/food in the back of the carrier, leave the door open with a string tied to it, then wait for him to go in and slam the door shut.
If he’ll eat a pill wrapped in a treat (or liquid meds mixed into food), you could ask the vet for a sedative and give it to him before the visit and then get him into the carrier after he’s sleepy.
Lastly you can try getting a thick blanket like a quilt, sneaking up on him, and throwing it over him like a net. Before you do this set the carrier on end with the door open facing up. While he’s confused under the blanket, quickly scoop him up with the blanket and drop him into the open carrier.
I asked the vets for oral sedatives but they are not giving any. I don't know what to do.
Even if I manage to put him in the carrier. I can't control him in the hospital if he is awake. He can possibly escape frm the carrier box. I can't even catch him then.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
You must try. Once he is in the hospital, there are experienced people to handle him.
They wont. he is all my responsibility. I have to hold him even if he bites me. They'll not even come near if the cat is aggressive. It is not that I'm afraid he'll hurt me. Last time when I took him for neueter surgery. I took him out of the carrier to give anesthesia to him. He started biting me very hard. I was bleeding so much. The hospital staff forced me to leave the cat and opened the doors. I was very scared of their insensitivity. I held him tightly and somehow kept him in the carrier again. Or else those idiots would have let him escape. I lost my consciousness after I kept him in the carrier. It is that hard to take him to the vet.
I requested them several times for oral sedatives. But they are not giving any.
Just now I tried to pet him. He is thumping his tail whenever I'm trying to touch him.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you get a pair of heavy gloves? The kind that welders and such people use. He won't be able to bite through those.
Tried. They are not thick enough.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Goodness. SNAKES can't bite through those gloves. That's very unusual.
I cannot find these gloves. I have to buy some anti bite gloves near me asap. But there aren't any. I'm afraid something will happen to him. I don't know what to do

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has eaten broom bristles. I think there is an intestinal blockage. He is not eating anything. I have to take him to the vet immediately. But he won't allow me to touch him. I have to sedate him to take him to the vet. The vet prescribed valium 5mg tablet to him. He told me to give 1/2 tablet to him. Another vet didn't like the idea of giving valium orally to cats. But as his condition is life threatening. He agreed to it. Will valium when given orally cause any dangerous to cats? 2.5 mg just once will also hurt him?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
You need to get him to the vet.. I would follow their advice.
I know that valium is used by vets as a sedative, and orally is acceptable, if that helps.
:vibes::vibes::vibes:

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
You need to get him to the vet.. I would follow their advice.
I know that valium is used by vets as a sedative, and orally is acceptable, if that helps.
:vibes::vibes::vibes:
Yes I'll take him but I want to make sure it is not very harmful. And also this medicine is not available anywhere. I'm trying to get it.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
That would be impossible here, without a prescription. I have no idea how things work in India.
Is there some way you could lure him into a carrier?

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Dheeksha Dheeksha I've merged your threads and now have more of the story.
So the vet has prescribed the valium. Do you have the script? Are you unable to get to a chemist?

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
So the vet has prescribed the valium. Do you have the script? Are you unable to get to a chemist?
He gave a prescription. But I can't find the medicine anywhere. I enquired in nearly 20 pharmacies. I called him again. I requested him to visit my home and give an injection. He said how do you hold the cat? I said I 'll keep him in a cage. He's saying he'll send his assistant but I have to hold him or else he can't help. I don't know how to handle him all by myself.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm going to move this over to our Strays and Ferals forum, as members there have to take cats to vets in difficult circumstances. Hopefully someone there can help. :)

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to move this over to our Strays and Ferals forum, as members there have to take cats to vets in difficult circumstances. Hopefully someone there can help. :)
I tried to keep him in the cage but I can't. He is not showing any interest in food. He is nt drinking water also. He's running away when I'm bringing the bowl. I just can't do anything. Now I have to watch him suffer.

Last edited:

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
1 hour ago he pooped. After that he ate food and drank water. Can you say Is he alright now?

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure about India but here there’s a Valium shortage because it’s used to sedate covid patients. I think it’s on the FDA’s shortage list now

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Here is what my vet does with ferals. I have brought in some completely wild and unsafe ones who were never going to be even close to being domesticated.

Get him in a carrier and shut the door. I know you have said how difficult this is, and I believe you, but I think that unless the cat is turning a corner now with pooping and eating and drinking you do not have a choice. When you get to the vet they get the sedative injection and tip the carrier so that the cat falls against the door. They may have to do this a few times to get the part of his body that they want; then they inject him while he is still in the locked carrier.