Cat Asthma

nick8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My was diagnosed with asthma a few months ago. Was prescribed prednisolone by vet. I gave this to him for about a week and when he got better I stopped seeing the side effects of prolonged cortisteroid use. The vet said there is a med called atopica which has no side effects so I ordered it but now I see even atopica has many side effects. The 3rd option I saw was inhaler and the google search this would be the method with least side effects.

Any have experience with asthma cats?
I am looking for treatment with least side effects.

I have already seriously considered all environmental factors:
Got air purifiers, brush him regularly.
Food wise I tried raw but he didn't eat it so I am just feeding him what he eats.
The last time he had asthma attach was when I re-started him on fancy feast chicken pate, so I stopped it. I am now (trying) to feed him limited ingredient wet food which sometimes eats.
Most he eats dry food: science diet or royal canin.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
You didn't mention specifically, (although it sounds like chicken might be a sensitivity issue that could be causing the asthma) but is your litter dusty? You could look into dr elseys respiratory relief crystals, or littermaids walnut.

Can you try some additional things for nutrition, such as probiotics, maybe eggs (raw yolk is ok, the white must always be cooked), Merrick Backcountry pouches - they have rabbit, venison, might be ok if you haven't tried that brand, Tiki Cat pouches, maybe goat milk?

Also, have you tried putting him in a bathroom with a steamy shower, 10-12 minutes a couple times a day? the warm steam would help soothe his airways.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How frequent do the asthma attacks occur? Do you notice if they coincide with seasonal weather changes?

I have a kitty who gets a methylprednisolone shot about 2x a year for her asthma. It keeps her asthma at bay, but her asthma flares tend to be related to seasonal weather changes.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am now (trying) to feed him limited ingredient wet food which sometimes eats.
Do you know if it's chicken he has issues with? or just Fancy Feast in general?
I ask because if he is unhappy with the new wet food, it could be the protein he does not like but it could also be the texture. You could try a limited ingredient food in a pate texture, if you are not already.

I'm sorry I have no experience with asthma in cats. I'm sure many others have better ideas than what I could contribute in that case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nick8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How frequent do the asthma attacks occur? Do you notice if they coincide with seasonal weather changes?

I have a kitty who gets a methylprednisolone shot about 2x a year for her asthma. It keeps her asthma at bay, but her asthma flares tend to be related to seasonal weather changes.
It's hard to tell. The athma attacks seem to have started around Feb/March. We first thought it was hairball the way he was coughing so tried hairball remedy first then took him to vet who prescribed prednisolone. After pred the attacks went away. I stopped giving him pred after a week. The wheezing retruned about 3-4 weeks later and asthma attack returned after about 2 months, so I started on pred again. But from what I have been reading, pred has lots of side effects due to long term use. My vet said atopica has no side effects. So I ordered this but its very expensive and readong online mentions several side effects as well. Maybe I need to go to another vet to get a 2nd opinion. I am just trying to find the treatment is little to no side effects. I am really busy and don't have time to try so many different types of foods.

So answer Jem, I don't think he has issue with chicken as that's what he eats in dry food. He's 11 and eaten chicken flavored dry food all his life.
I switched him from Canidae to Hill's about a year ago.
Maybe I should switch him back to Canidae.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canidae is better than Science Diet. It might be worth talking to the vet about the prednisolone shot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nick8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Canidae is better than Science Diet. It might be worth talking to the vet about the prednisolone shot.
the side effects of the shot are worse than oral pill. it stays in system of months.
I had an online consult and the vet said the treatment of least s/fs is inhaler.