Cat asthma question again

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
also one other buying tip: mail order pharmacies generally discount if you buy three inhalers at a time (what a human would be using bc humans get 2 puffs twice a day). But written “one puff twice a day” the most they can mail out is two inhalers. I ask my vet (who admittedly trusts me and knows I’m an MD) to write “UAD #3 RF3” (use as directed dispense 3 inhalers with 3 refills) so the pharmacy will ship out 3 at a time. This also lets me “stock up” a bit so I can avoid shipping at the hottest part of summer.
An MD hmmm I need to friend you. HAHA

Caannes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you think I can mix it with the litter I currently have to use up what I have?
actually you usually want to mix litter gradually when changing brands—although the frisco package says not to mix with nonclumping litter. Not sure why, I expect they interfere with each other. So if your current brand is clumping then mixing is perfect. If it’s not, maybe write to the new brand (frisco or smartcat or ?) and ask how to transition.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried the wood pellet ones?

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Discount Prescription Drugs Online | Pharmstore.com based out of Canada for the inhaled steroid.
It took a bit of doing to get the account set up but once it was doing the refills was easy. I had one shipment not arrive within the promised time frame and they sent another one out right away. The prescription will be for Flixotide (which is the same thing as Flovent).

I pay about $55 for two inhalers (240 doses).

You would also need to buy a spacer, like the Aerokat, and train your cat to use it.
AeroKat* Chamber | Trudell Animal Health

Last edited:

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Discount Prescription Drugs Online | Pharmstore.com based out of Canada for the inhaled steroid.
It took a bit of doing to get the account set up but once it was doing the refills was easy. I had one shipment not arrive within the promised time frame and they sent another one out right away. The prescription will be for Flixotide (which is the same thing as Flovent).

I pay about $55 for two inhalers (240 doses).

You would also need to buy a spacer, like the Aerokat, and train your cat to use it.
AeroKat* Chamber | Trudell Animal Health
I have the chamber he hates it with a passion but he'll get over it at some point.

moomin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm worried that our baby chamber might not be enough. It is for newborn babies and fits quite tightly around her face but maybe it is just not good enough?
We don't have cat chambers here. I think for Aerokat, shipping would be 60$ from Amazon. But really worth it...
What do you think?

The only thing that is ok, Flixotide here is pretty cheap, around 12$.

Also do you think albuterol is safe for cats once or twice a week? Worried about that also...

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm worried that our baby chamber might not be enough. It is for newborn babies and fits quite tightly around her face but maybe it is just not good enough?
We don't have cat chambers here. I think for Aerokat, shipping would be 60$ from Amazon. But really worth it...
What do you think?

Also do you think albuterol is safe for cats once or twice a week? Worried about that also...
The way I feel about the Aerokat is this, if you had asthma would you be willing to spend an extra $60 (if you had it) if it might give you the relief you need?
Also when it comes to giving any kind of medication to your cat I would ask your vet, each case is different. Mine told me to use Albuterol as little as possible because it can make things worse. If for some reason you don't trust what your vet has you doing, you can always go to another one for a second opinion.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What do you think?

The Aerokat is worth it. It comes with two different mouthpieces so you can choose which one works for your cat. one thing I did to get my cat used to it was putting the mouthpiece in a bag of catnip for a while so it smelled really irresistible. She also gets a special treat every time we use it that she doesn’t get any other time. She actually comes and gets me when it’s time to treat her.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Aerokat is worth it. It comes with two different mouthpieces so you can choose which one works for your cat. one thing I did to get my cat used to it was putting the mouthpiece in a bag of catnip for a while so it smelled really irresistible. She also gets a special treat every time we use it that she doesn’t get any other time. She actually comes and gets me when it’s time to treat her.
-_- to bad my cats don't react to cat nip.... HAHAHA I thought mine only came with one mask, but I see that there is one inside the other HAHA

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My pharmacy accepted my GoodRX coupon to lower the cost of the inhaler

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Essential oils will be more harm than good. We've had big help with human and cat athsma with Air purifiers. It helped so much we got a second one for the other level.

The biggest help we found though was getting HEPA filters for our vacuum and dust buster and using those rather than sweeping. (Vacuum treats did wonders for cat stress aka bribes)

I also wet-dust (damp cloth) rather than dry dusters to trap allergens.

My first vet said no clay litter for cat or human athsma. I've experimented with a few. Recently I got Okocat paper litter and it's really the first dust free one I've liked and that's actually dust free.

We vacuum 4-5 times per week and our carpets are all technically outdoor ones with rubber bottoms. But the old man needs them if we want him to continue to play, which we do.