Cat Asthma Cheapest Fluticasone Propionate Formally was Flovent Also a CKD question

ann22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I have been here before and the last time you were all so helpful when I just found out my cat had kidney disease and was not eating the special diet. Well that same kitty is sixteen years old and has FIV. He had FIV when I adopted him from the animal shelter 8 years ago. He also has asthma. He is on a steroid that I apply to his ear, but it may be making feel not too well so my Doctor and I, thought maybe a steroid inhaler that only targets the lungs and not his whole body, may be better. She recommended Flovent, but they quit making it this January. What I am finding is the medicine is very expensive and I am desperately searching for a place a little cheaper. Does anyone know a good place to get Fluticasone Propionate? He needs 44 mcg. My CKD question is, does anyone know if the ear steroid, I think prednisone can cause Kidney failure? The ear steroid goes through the whole system the same as tablet form.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I doubt the steroids caused kidney failure. Most cats, by the time they are in their teens have some form of kidney insufficiency.

You can get generic fluticasone much cheaper through Canadian pharmacy’s. There is a generic that is supposed to be released in the US soon, if it hadn’t already. I think the price I saw for Canada was around $60.00

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get generic fluticasone much cheaper through Canadian pharmacy’s. There is a generic that is supposed to be released in the US soon, if it hadn’t already. I think the price I saw for Canada was around $60.00
Yes to this! Inhalers from outside the US are much cheaper. I've often found that brand-name inhalers are about the same price as generics but prices can vary a lot.

If you need an inhaler quickly, you could check GoodRx to see how much that might discount the inhaler. Arrival time from other countries can be unpredictable because packages need to go through customs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ann22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Silent Meowlook and lisahe! Do you know a good pharmacy to try in Canada? My doctor was also OK with keeping up with the ear, but it is probably much better to target the lungs and not the whole body with steroids correct? The only thing I worry about is the whole body steroid might make him eat more and that is a good thing with his CKD.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Silent Meowlook and lisahe! Do you know a good pharmacy to try in Canada? My doctor was also OK with keeping up with the ear, but it is probably much better to target the lungs and not the whole body with steroids correct? The only thing I worry about is the whole body steroid might make him eat more and that is a good thing with his CKD.
You might ask your vet if she has any suggestions on pharmacies that other clients have used -- if she already sends prescriptions to one or has feedback, it's worth building on that. I'd strongly suggest looking around at various pharmacy sites (you'll find that there are various certifications, like Certified Canadian International Pharmacy and PharmacyChecker) since prices and procedures can vary a lot from place to place even when two sites are managed by the same company. Many (maybe most?) take orders in Canada but ship from other countries, though a few work completely in Canada. Part of the decision is to figure out what you're comfortable with. Reading up on the two certification sites I linked to is a good way to learn about how this all works.

ann22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lisahe- Thank you. The research I came up with is that is is illegal to ship me medicine outside of Canada and that any pharmacy that is willing to do so is probably not legit and you may end up with the wrong amount or even the wrong medicine from what you order and that it could be dangerous. If that is true, it scares me and I would not have a clue who to trust.

ann22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My doctor thought Chewy sold it. She has been out for six months and is probably unaware Flovent no longer exists as she wrote Flovent on the prescription. She just told me to call around, but I am not finding any generic options and the cost is around $190.00