Cat annoyed with me?

missmitzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Spooks is about one year old with a couple of months. He used to be super loving towards me, as a baby he would lick my face and 'groom' me and sleep/snuggle with me, and even go on car trips with me, but now all he does is chirrup when he sees me but doesn't get near me, he doesn't even let me hold him anymore and he doesn't seem too thrilled when I pet him. He wakes me up every morning by chirruping when he comes inside the house through my window but when I give him attention he ignores me and goes back outside. Does he hate me now? I hate that he's not as loving as before... does anyone know why he's acting this way?

This is him by the way :')

Last edited:

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes! My cats are all indoor outdoor. A few I rescued as kittens and were all loving and cuddly at the start. When they found the awesome thrill of the outdoors they sort of became independent of running to me for comfort. 
 I don't mind. It's a feline trait I admire. Your cat does not hate you at all. Do not worry.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's in that teenage phase. Some cats have a change of behavior around 8-16 months (another reason why I like adult cats -- they're set in their ways!). 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He's in that teenage phase. Some cats have a change of behavior around 8-16 months (another reason why I like adult cats -- they're set in their ways!). 
Me too.  I feel that you have a better idea of what you're getting that way.  Gadget was very friendly at 1 year old at the shelter, then went through a biting/nipping stage, and is now back to his sweet self.  My other 2 I got at 8 months and they went through those changes too.

Yeah, sounds like teenage years!

chloe80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually my cat has done the opposite! He's a rescue cat and when we got him at 2 months old he didn't seem to understand what petting was. It took a very long time for him to get used to us stroking and cuddling him and to understand that it was an affectionate gesture, but now he couldn't be friendlier. I reckon yours will get back into cuddling soon enough, it's probably just the teenage 'independent' phase kicking in :) He doesn't hate you!