Cat And Stitches On Lip?

spartcom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey so my cat had a bump removed on her lip and has three little stitches. My question is how in the world can I stop her from ripping them out? They're in tight but she sometimes likes to scratch around her mouth. She will never wear a cone for a week straight so what should I do? This is a pain to deal with. Plus I can't be with her 24/7 to prevent her from doing something ugh...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spartcom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I could give that a shot, I have never trimmed her nails before... She always sharpens them herself. Would she feel me clipping them if she was asleep?

spartcom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there some sort of cream I could put over the stitches to help it heal faster and prevent itch? Either way my cat loves to scratch her face before sleeping. I have a very bad feeling about these stitches not lasting long argh!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did the Vet not give you any instructions, or did they tell you to use a cone? Even clipping her claws will not totally prevent her from scratching at her mouth, especially when it starts to heal and begins to really itch. And you can't use certain creams because she can lick it off even WITH a cone due do the location.
WHY do you say she will never wear a cone for a week straight? What choice does she have if you put it on her? They do make different types of cones, there are some "soft cones" available that are more comfy that the plastic ones the Vet's give out.

in the meantime, here is an article on trimming their claws: How to Best Take Care of Cat Claws

spartcom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's been almost 3 days thus far and she doesn't seem bothered one bit. Fingers crossed this keeps up! She's acting completely normal now and is one happy cat. The incision itself is very very small.