Cat And Orphan Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenniberrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the kittens i dont want to introduce to the babies, shes food aggressive and she is very feisty. The other one is male, hes the one that nurses more anyway, and he is very gentle. I'll bring him in with her and see what happens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, they may not if they are orphans. Syringe it is then - at least for now! :)

Jenniberrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, they may not if they are orphans. Syringe it is then - at least for now! :)
Even if she doesnt nurse them, she can teach them cat things, like grooming etc, right? That was the main thing the shelter said they needed help with.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It can’t hurt to try! And don’t feel bad, my kittens nursed their mom for months and months. Her favorite two nursed for almost a year. I kept mom and all 4 kittens. Kittens are 4 years old now! :)

Jenniberrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And they do! There is poop all over the place from them walking in it and leaving it all over themselves, not to mention crusty faces

Jenniberrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It can’t hurt to try! And don’t feel bad, my kittens nursed their mom for months and months. Her favorite two nursed for almost a year. I kept mom and all 4 kittens. Kittens are 4 years old now! :)
She is such a doting mom to her babies, and I didnt realize how hard kitten life is without a doting mama. Poor things.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For now, you’ll need to wipe their faces and bottoms. Start putting them in the litter pan before and after meals too. They need to start learning. And mama cat may come around soon.

Jenniberrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your help! I've never taken in orphaned kittens, I hope tomorrow is an easier day.

Jenniberrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For now, you’ll need to wipe their faces and bottoms. Start putting them in the litter pan before and after meals too. They need to start learning. And mama cat may come around soon.
Yes I've given them several little butt bathes. They seem to step in their poop alot, when I got them their faces were very dirty and I havent been able to get it completely clean.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’re welcome! :)

Orphan babies are a lot of work. I took care of two baby squirrels for a few weeks that were blown from their nest two years ago during Hurricane Irma here in Florida. It’s never easy, but so rewarding to save lives and offer safety, food, and love!

Keep working on those little faces! They’ll eventually come clean. And they were dirty because the shelter workers don’t have enough time for all the babies. Thank goodness for fosters like you!

Let us know how tomorrow goes!

Jenniberrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I woke up, fed them, I let them loose in the room with mama, she kept her distance and growled and hissed, but they ran up to her anyway. She sat very still and didnt move at all while they ran around. They ate quite alot, then I wiped them up which they seemed to enjoy, afterwards they did alot of self cleaning and wanted cuddles, I put them to bed but they are crying, I'm too tired to play now.

Jenniberrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been using the same towel on them that I've rubbed on her and the big kitties, hopefully its helping.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mama sounds tolerant, which is a step in the right direction!

Jenniberrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are a ton of kitten food mixed with milk this afternoon! And they seem to be figuring out the litterbox. I forgot to grab mama before I went this time, shes been spending her day snuggling her big kittens

Jenniberrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On their own! They are crazy little things, but I fed them food with milk twice and milk by itself twice this afternoon, wiped them and gave them some snuggle time afterwards. One isnt too crazy about the food, hes also very cuddly and wants to be in my lap or in my arms the whole time.