Cat and new kitten, playing or fighting?

caprisunredbull

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently got a new kitten (3 months old) to give company to our current cat (2 years old)
We have been doing the slow introduction and they have shown no hostility toward one another but when we decided to let them meet in a controlled environment the older cat scraps with the kitten. The kitten starts by lying on his back then then the older cat scuffles with the kitten and chases him a little. They don't hiss but the last time kitten meowed loudly so we separated them. Is this normal behaviour? Or should we take it slower and go back a few steps?
Thank you!

daishain

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no hissing, growling, tail lashing, signs or sounds of pain?

If no, it is just play fighting, let them. Do be aware that it is possible for the older cat to cause the kitten injury by accident, so be prepared to step in if things get a little too rough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprisunredbull

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
None of those I don't think! The older cat did have his tail puffed up though...
Is chasing after each other okay as well?

daishain

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So long as the one being chased isn't reacting with fear, that's fine as well.

visual signs of fear: Tail tucked close, bristled fur, arched back, ears folded back, dilated pupils

Here's a good example

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprisunredbull

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No fear! So that's good I guess.
Also I was wondering if it's okay that all they do is chase and play fight? The kitten is always excited so he's always bopping the resident cat and trying to get him to chase and play.

linuxnerd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I am starting to have this as well. After our 3 year old Cat jumped on our 12 year old beagle, my wife was convinced Butters needed a playmate. Enter 12 week old (now 14 week old) pickles. There was a little hissing the first three days, but now there is no hissing from butters. They chase each other through the house and play a weird version of wack-a-mole under the couch. (Pickles has been home now for 11 days). They eat together (even swap food dishes while they eat).

However when Butters is wrestling with Pickles, I notice Pickles growls and hisses and then Butters jumps away, or sits up. Pickles then runs away, just to come charging at Butters less then a minute later. So, my question, is since there is grows/hissing coming from the kitten, should be I be concerned?

I also noticed Butters filled out substantially when pickles came home, I think she gained like two pounds, she looks like a loaf of bread when she lays down.

Pictures of Pickles:

Last edited: