cat and kitten playing too rough?

muddygrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 5 year old male cat that is fixed and declawed (don't blame me, he was a shelter cat and I adopted him that way) and  8 week old male kitten.

The kitten is a typical playful little guy and pounces on the big boys head and tussles with him. The big boy Teddy will give it right back to him, hold him down, kick and bite and tussle. They Seem to be rough housing not fighting. But the thing is I am not sure if my big boy Teddy knows when to stop. The baby Magic will squeal and Teddy won't stop. Teddy just keeps biting and holding him down. There are times I have picked one or the other up and moved them and they both go right back to the other to play some more. So I don't think they are upset at each other. I just worry that the big boy is going to hurt the baby when he won't stop. So far he hasn't hurt him that I can tell.

The baby also doesn't know when to stop and will go back for "more". I have caught Teddy holding him down and licking him a few times. Is this all normal? Should I worry?

I am going away for a week (in two weeks) and I worry that Teddy will hurt him while I'm gone. I will have my mom come in and feed them and check on them. But I do worry.
Thanks for any advice.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd tend to think that if Magic keeps going back for more then Teddy isn't doing him any harm. It's just normal playful rough and tumble.

Teddy licking Magic is nothing to worry about either. When my boy's brother was still alive, a wrestling match was always preceeded by some mutual grooming.

Let them have their fun :D