Cat And Kitten Introductio

12rmfoster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So long story short: We found a kitten and decided to rescue her. We already have an adult cat (Azhara, 3 years old), who is timid and quiet but loves to play.
The new kitten (Nira) is obviously rambunctious and we started the kitten in our bedroom (we have an apartment so no spare rooms).

We wanted to slowly integrate her, but Azhara is incessant on wanting to be in our bedroom and clawing at the door. So we moved her to the bathroom.

After a day or two we decided to try briefly seeing each other as they both seemed calm (Nira doesn’t seem bothered by anything), they smelled each other and no reaction other than apparent apprehension and concern. We separated them. A day later we introduced the two and they smelled each other. Nira was further exploring the house and Azhara was directly behind her smelling her and looking concerned. There was no hissing, no obvious aggression, but there were a few times they both had their hairs stand on end. Is that a bad sign? Should we take significantly longer to introduce them (it’s a small apartment and Azhara just stares at whatever door Nira is behind).

Is this a good progression? Am I missing something. It seems as though they aren’t hissing and overtly attacking each other. Just the occasional “Halloween kitty” stance.

Advice would be great:)

Thank you!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 12rmfoster - I'm certainly no expert on cat integration, but I'd say that what you're missing is that there are exceptions to every rule - and these two kitties are making an effort to prove that. I've had cats simply come in after being seen by the vet, and make their way through the clowder, introducing themselves, and then simply become part and parcel to the Family, with no Human intervention whatsoever. It sounds to me like your two both have that, "live and let live," personality, and my best non-cat-expert advice would be, "just keep doing what you're doing, and allow Nature to take its course." Be vigilant for the first few days, of course, and supervise, but don't step in unless necessity demands.

Caveat: I have eleven currently, and have, in the past, had quite a few cats sharing just over 5k square feet of space, but introducing a new cat to a fair-sized clowder is, in many ways, far easier than one-to-one introductions, owed to the variance in interactional dynamics.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the forum!

Well generally speaking it sounds like you skipped a couple steps, however the key word there is generally. To me it sounds like they are doing great! Still, I would make sure to keep supervising them. They sound like they are getting along well, but you never know something might set off Azhara (beautiful name by the way) and she is quite a bit bigger then Nira. For the same reason I would keep them separated when they are alone. Other then that, congratulations! Sounds like you might just have two future good friends there.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1 12rmfoster - I'm certainly no expert on cat integration, but I'd say that what you're missing is that there are exceptions to every rule - and these two kitties are making an effort to prove that. I've had cats simply come in after being seen by the vet, and make their way through the clowder, introducing themselves, and then simply become part and parcel to the Family, with no Human intervention whatsoever. It sounds to me like your two both have that, "live and let live," personality, and my best non-cat-expert advice would be, "just keep doing what you're doing, and allow Nature to take its course." Be vigilant for the first few days, of course, and supervise, but don't step in unless necessity demands.

Caveat: I have eleven currently, and have, in the past, had quite a few cats sharing just over 5k square feet of space, but introducing a new cat to a fair-sized clowder is, in many ways, far easier than one-to-one introductions, owed to the variance in interactional dynamics.
I don’t know....11 cats makes me think you’re at least part cat expert, if not a full blown one :p

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think a lot of times we expect it to be difficult when it often is not. I don't believe in those prolonged introductions. I have often just put the cats together (after they cleared the vet bill of health) and had little problems. Maybe some hissing but no fights. The one time I did a text book, slow introduction, it never worked out. I personally don't think a cat introduction should take more than 3 or 4 days.

Look, the cats know each one is there, they are not stupid. They can smell each other, often see each other under the door. I think this is all positive what's going on in your house. I'd give it another day and then let them loose. That's my opinion, for whatever it's worth.

And for sure make sure that new cat is checked out by the vet before you do let them be together. Even now, I would do that. ASAP. Especially because it was a stray cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

12rmfoster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

That makes sense, thank you:) my only concern is Azhara and/or Nira occasionally poof up, and I’m not sure if that’s a bad sign and should separate them or if it’s just something to let them work out on their own

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That makes sense, thank you:) my only concern is Azhara and/or Nira occasionally poof up, and I’m not sure if that’s a bad sign and should separate them or if it’s just something to let them work out on their own
1 12rmfoster - Oh heck - now and then one of mine will "poof up" at one of their Family members - and some of them have known one another for more than twenty years. Relax - it sounds like all's well in your peaceable kingdom.