Cat and hot weather

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi dear members
It's so long since I have been here since I suffered alot after losing my cat
I am wondering how are cats in very hot weather, it's around 37°C and 40°C these days , they r extremely tired and one of them has fast breathing she is fine but breathed fast yesterday and today , and also panted and my other cat panted too twice , they r eating and drinking fine , do I have to worry , I alr sent message to our vet , any help pls ?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try to keep the cats cool as much as possible. Are they indoors only? Do you have fans or AC to run? Panting is a natural body response to try to cool the body down.

9 Ways To Help Feral Cats During Hot Summer Months – TheCatSite Articles
What’s The Ideal Temperature For A Cat? – TheCatSite Articles
I am puting cold water in their bowels and wet their fur , yes we have fans and AC , The AC isn't open 24/h and also our flat is even hotter than outside idk why , they r indoor only

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brigde boy long haired was that way in hot weather. I used to put a damp towel on the kitchen floor for him to lay on. My brother suggested cooling pads but I was worried the cat's would dig at them and eat what's inside. My boy's now like to sit near the fan. I also put ice in their water and make tuna juice ice cubes for a cold treat.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
run a fan all the time to move the hot humid air aroundthey will find the coolest spot if bathroom is cat proofed allow accessso they can sleep in the sink and tub. uk friend of mine said homes there are built to trap and hold the heat in so he always runs the ac unit to cool things downbut you can do what i did once when my ac went out get a wash cloth or beach towel soak through wring out excess water then pop into the freezer until frozenthen take it out pry it open drape across your noggin or body direct a fan at you and enjoy the coolness graycie liked to lick at the frozen wash cloth pretty sure she would have laid ontop of a towel had i put one down and laid on it myself

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am puting cold water in their bowels and wet their fur , yes we have fans and AC , The AC isn't open 24/h and also our flat is even hotter than outside idk why , they r indoor only

4 walls will trap heat inside even with the windows open and a fan running. Can you keep the AC on all the time?

There are cooling mats for pets you can buy. Or wrap some ice packs in towels and set them out for the cats to lie on if they want.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A bit late but the last few days were better and my girl is fine now and I have done most of what you've told me and it worked w her , thank u so much ❤

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can ask in your local Buy Nothing group to see if someone has a couple marble or ceramic large tiles that you could have for them to lay on.

Having some cooling mats around the house is helpful. You can put a pillow case over them if you are worried about them bursting, though I haven't heard of it happening.

A cardboard bed or hammock bed that is mesh and allows air underneath can also help.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have tried marble & ceramic. The marble ones stay alot cooler. Your local Menards or Lowe's usually have an open box to buy individual tiles. The only problem being they are usually 12" x 12", so you need to get a couple to give the cat room to stretch. My kitties definitely choose the marble over carpet etc. Here's to cool kitties :coolcat: