Cat and Dog help

my2zipps

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three cats and one dog and need some help with them getting along.

The cats lived in the house first and all get along....last summer we got a puppy and I read up on how to introduce them together....all went fine with 2 of the cats but my calico almost a year later is still having trouble.

She is very scared of he dog and hides. Our dog leaves the other cats alone but will try to smell the one that is scared and look for her when she hides causing more stress.

My room is the cats safe room..I have a cat climber for her to get up high so she can feel safe but it still is not working.

The problem now is that my cat now has started to pee on my bed in the evenings. It use to be once every now and then but now it is almost everyday.

I think she is doing it from stress and trying to let the dog know this is my space so go but hey its my bed!

I have been to the vet and she has no health problems and I have tried stress products but I am running out of ideas.

I am running out of ideas on how to stop the peeing and give my kitty a stress free life......I don't want to find her a new home but I also don't want to watch her live in a house where she is not happy :(

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
This really does look like stress, doesn't it?

I would try a Feliway diffuser if you haven't already (I don't know what you mean by 'stress products'. She may even need some calming meds.

I think, too, there must be ways to help the process but I just don't know with cats and dogs.  Hopefully others will come and help.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
So your room is strictly "cats only"?  But she must be getting the smells from the dog off the clothes or something. 

Could you put a litter box or tote covered box with litter in your room, so she would not have to be afraid, and begin re-using her box.?

The other thing is that you will have to use an enzymatic cleaner on any material she may have peed on. And clean it multiple times.  This is to remove all traces of her urine scent or markings.

For the time being, I would also put a plastic lining beneath the last sheet of your bed, so that the urine does not soak through.

Tell us more about how many rooms you have, or possible separations like doors, different floor levels, and where all the animals hang out?

What type of dog, and does he/she listen to you, if you tell him/her not to sniff the cats?  Puppies are great, but they can be trained to leave any cat alone, and some dogs do not stop acting goofy like a puppy until 3 years of age.

Last edited: