Cat and coordination

aqualoon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've only had cats for about 5 years now give or take, so I don' t know if this is normal or not.

Adopted a 3 month old kitten last spring/summer and noticed he wasn't the most coordinated guy - for example he would try to jump up to the counter from the floor and sometimes he'd hit the counter and fall down.  Never had a cat have issues with this and usually cleared it with ease.

So fast forward, he's now almost a year old and he is able to do the counter just fine, however my other two cats can jump from my bed to the top of my dresser and for Lynk here, he's got a 50/50 shot of making it or hitting the side of the dresser.  Is this normal?  Is there something I can do to help him learn how to do things like this better?

Personality wise he's awesome, very playful, very vocal and very affectionate.

nycats

Mother of 3 cats & fosters
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think some cats are more athletic or clumsy than others. I have two cats, and one is a bit of a cluts who often almost fall off of the counter when she's preoccupied, and the other is very agile and athletic like a lean panther. I have caught the clumsy one from falling a few times LOL.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aqualoon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I usually run over when he tries to make it onto the dresser so he doesn't splat onto the floor (I can't help but laugh a little - he's not injured or hurt or anything).  I just feel bad that he can't seem to be able to do it 100% of the time like my other two cats.

nycats

Mother of 3 cats & fosters
Adult Cat
Purraise
I laugh, too at her when she falls off. I think they are a bit embarrassed...they usually act like that was what they meant to do all along lol.