Cat Allergy

Nadoori

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 kittens living with my family but my sister is allergic to cats so what should I do to help her ? I tried keeping the kittens away from her and her room, most of my family says either shave fully one of them if it doesn’t work then sell them. She always go to hospital for allergy shots hoping she can tolerate but no improvement. I put my kittens in the neighbor to monitor her health, she gets better everyday so what’s the best solution?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please don't shave any of your cats. Most allergies are cause by dander which is shed from skin not hair.
If your sisters allergies are so bad that she has to go to the hospital sadly finding another home for your kitties might be the solution.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rehoming might be best. That said I was very surprised years ago when I found out I was fine with indoor cats but very allergic to outdoor cats.
Invest in a great hypoallgenic vacuum and vacuum daily. Bathe the cats every week or two (or better yet use that allergy solution that makes the dander stick to the fur.) Keep the kittens out of her room. Whatever the kittens get on needs to be washed or vacuumed weekly.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
You can invest in some really good air cleaners, especially one for your sister's bedroom. Try keeping the cats out of her room--door closed...

Your sister can try a daily anti-histamine, in addition to the routine allergy shots.. not just in the ER, when a bad attack begins.

Also get a good Allergy, HEPA filter vacuum; and vacuum often.

Have her change her bedding weekly..and dust..

Do not have her change, scoop the litter box.

Do not shave your cat.. the dander is on their skin.. the allergy causing "thing" is on their skin, saliva, waste products..

Have everyone wash their hands, often; especially after handing the kitties...

Brush your kitties regularly.

You can use some baby wipes--sensitve skin; or special cat wipes to wipe down you cats.. thus decreasing the dander...

or take them to get a waterless shampoo at the groomers.. until you ca get things under control...

These are things I tried, and I am allergic to cats..

If your sister gets a scratch, wash it out immediately with soap and water. I also use some alcohol and some peroxide, so I do not get a huge welt...

I am fine with having cats..

After a while, you build up a bit of an immunity to cats...

Good Luck...