Cat Allergy and Depo-Medrol

freddyf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 year old Siamese named Gus that is driving me crazy. He has had problems with allergies since he was one. With the change of seasons (every 3 months or so). he begins to lick a bald spot on his right leg. The Vet gave him a shot of DepoMedrol and placed him on Hills DD Venison the beginning of January. Prior to this he was eating Wellness canned chicken and turkey. Since then he again licked a bald spot on his right leg in June and now again in September. The last time (June) he had a bad reaction to the DepoMedrol (was lethargic, slept, and had a lack of appetite) and did not return to his usual festy self for about 5 days. It scared the heck out of me. I have to take him to the Vet tomorrow to see what we can do to stop the licking .
I would appreciate any suggestions or advice for alternatives to the DeMethol that I might discuss using with the Vet.

marleyandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well I don't know of any alternatives. Just wanted to say that when Marley had his depo shot he was the same way for about 2 weeks. He was so mopey, didn't play, wasn't very interested in food. I vowed to never let the vet give him that shot again1 I hope you find something that works!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am another one who will never give Depo again to my Bugsy... Not only he had awful side effects like you are describing, but he gained an absurd 8lbs in between the 3 shots he had

Ask your vet about an antihistamine, in pill form to be given daily instead - that can be very helpfull; we had a member here with a horrible problem like yours, but very severe and was very successful treating her cat with with an antiallergic diet and antihistamine. You might also want to try Hills Z/D instead of Venison.

Good luck!