Cat All Of A Sudden Scared Of Me

Kwood0015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello everyone

My cat Leo all of a sudden is scared of me and my husband, when we’re standing and walking towards him he cowers, runs off and even hides. However if we are sitting next to him he’s totally normal, purring, comfortable etc. I also notice he’s not responding to his name like before (always used to turn his head when we said his name) however does still turn his head when I say “treat”....so not sure if it’s a hearing issue or something else? It’s hard to see bc he’s usually happy to see us

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your Leo. If he is an older cat you want to have the vet check him out for any change in behavior. Sometimes if they are in pain they can become fearful. But otherwise, maybe something spooked him and he he is just generally feeling anxious. Give it a few days and see if,he comes around. Otherwise off to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kwood0015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is your Leo. If he is an older cat you want to have the vet check him out for any change in behavior. Sometimes if they are in pain they can become fearful. But otherwise, maybe something spooked him and he he is just generally feeling anxious. Give it a few days and see if,he comes around. Otherwise off to the vet.
Thanks Susan M! Leo is 14, I am wondering if it’s a) he’s seeing us give our older cat meds and not liking it or b) maybe reacting to static electricity? He got shocked a couple of times last week when I pet him - it’s still going on tho so I’m thinking it’s about the meds? Will keep u posted!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it might be him reacting to static shocks but with an older cat you need to rule out something medical going on. I would most certainly start with a visit to the vet and a full senior cat blood panel.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely, at his age you want a good senior panel done, and to rule out cognitive issues (some of which are helped with medications).