Cat Aggression Toward People

lonniel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat aggression problem with my year old male cat.  He is loving, and sweet most of the time, but can all the sudden grab me and bite.  He never bites my husband or anyone else, but seems to more attached to me.  Help?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If as a kitten, someone played with him with their hands, he's learned to see hands as play things.  He's also being a cat - hunting, catching prey, which your hand may look like to him.

In any case, when he does it, hiss at him and say "no!" loudly and firmly.  Keep your hand away from him (or get up and walk away).  It may take awhile, depending on how determined he is, but he will get the message.

He may sense that your husband wouldn't put up with that, which is why he doesn't try it with him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lonniel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Ondine,

I think you hit the nail on the head, when we got him he was 9 weeks old, my husband would wrestle with

him....or as I called it, rough him up.  He loves it and that became a morning routine. He has out grown it in the last few months,

The biting isn't a constant thing, I just never know when.  If I say no he gets rougher, ignoring him works best.